PinkNews is the number one media brand for the global LGBT+ community, Generation Z and those who think like Generation Z. Our mission is to inform, inspire positive change and empower people to be themselves.
As we continue to grow our digital and tech offering we are looking for a Full Stack Engineer to join our tech team.
Initially, the primary focus will be on our WordPress website, both front end and back end, but we are looking for someone who is keen to work across multiple projects and platforms to support our website, mobile apps and advertising platforms. This ideal person for this role will be an experienced developer but with an appetite to keep learning new technologies and who is willing to roll their sleeves up and help out wherever needed.
PinkNews may be a small company but we have big ideas. As a team we have an all-hands-on-deck approach, so being able to manage multiple tasks and prioritise your workload is a must. You will report directly into the Head of Tech so you will also be expected to assist with any ad tech related tasks as and when required.
Any experience related to media and content publishing will be a benefit alongside a keen interest in the latest industry trends and best practices.
No two days are the same at PinkNews. Our team delivers breaking news, quality journalism and original content across all platforms to a global audience. We are dedicated to achieving global equality for LGBT+ people by educating, engaging and empowering our customers through award-winning content, live events and bespoke products and services.
- Support the Head of Tech in the day to day running of the Website and Ad Ops operations
- Design, develop and implement new website features and functionalities as required
- Create and maintain microsites and WordPress-based web applications
- Ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing technical aspects of the CMS, all the websites and online platforms that are a part of the PinkNews brand
- Overseeing Tech Support tasks, ensuring they are actioned in a timely manner
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of our websites and software products
- Collaborate with the team to define, design, and ship new features regularly
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs
- Help maintain code quality, organisation, and automatisation in a sustainable manner
- Work closely with the Head of Tech, assist with problem-solving and backend and front-end development requirements
- Assist in other ad-hoc technical projects as and when required
- Play an active role in company culture and live the PinkNews values
Key skills and experience
- 5+ years experience working in a web development role
- A passion for LGBT+ content and a belief in equality for all
- Strong understanding of PHP, MySQL, and back-end development
- Knowledge of React, Angular would be a plus
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git, SVN, or Mercurial
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Knowledge of how to interact with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
- Relevant experience working with automatic deployment technologies
- Knowledge of other web technologies and UI/UX standards
- Experience of working cross functionally
- An eagerness to learn new programming languages and skills
- Confident, articulate, proactive, and collaborative
- A self-motivator able to work independently and flexibly with an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Competitive salary
- 32 days’ annual leave including bank holidays + birthday day off
- Flexible/ hybrid working
- Employee Referral Programme
- Access to great development opportunities and wider team training
- Access to Spill and EAP
Please submit a CV and cover letter with your application. We look forward to hearing from you — [email protected]
PinkNews is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that celebrates differences, allowing you to do your best work.