Best Mattress for back pain 2019 • 7 Mattresses for back pain Reviews
Many people around the world suffer from back pains. Our team dug through some of the more reputable consumer tests on the internet and was able to come up with a list of the best mattresses for back pains.
Mattress for back pain Leaderboard 2019
What are Mattresses for Back Pain?
It would be best to avoid such mattresses if you want to maintain a comfortable back. If you already suffer from back pains, you will find medium firm mattresses the best for your condition. In most people, these mattresses reduce back pains.
How Does a for Back Pain Work?
The best mattresses for back pain should keep your spine aligned. This is why you will find firmer mattresses ideal. It is important to note that the best level of firmness will be determined by an individual’s body type. For example, if you have wide hips, you will find slightly softer mattresses ideal for your spine.
Advantages and Applications
The best mattresses for back pains will help you keep your back healthy. Also, they can be used to treat back pains. In many studies, people have been noted to develop less pain in their lower backs after spending a few nights sleeping on mattresses meant to treat back pains. These Mattresses also provide some of the most comfortable sleeping sessions. Most of them are designed to support all the pressure points in your body. These Mattresses are not just meant for people who have back pains– they can be used by people with arthritis and joint problems.
If you share your bed with another person, you will also find these mattresses ideal for your situation. Since they have some level of firmness, movement from one person will not cause a ripple effect. That means everyone will be able to sleep comfortably throughout the night.
Medium firm mattresses may be expensive initially. However, you will find that these mattresses tend to last for a very long time. This means that in the long run, medium firm mattresses will be more economical. You should consider buying your mattresses from a high-quality brand since those ones are guaranteed to be highly durable.
What Types of Back Pain Mattresses Are there?
There are many different types of mattresses available for people with bad backs. Here are some of the products available in the United Kingdom:
Pocket Spring Mattresses
These mattresses are made using springs, and these are housed in their own pockets of fabric. The name of the product refers to its construction. With this type of construction, the springs will be able to move independently. That way, your back and pressure points will receive sufficient support. You should note that these mattresses come with different levels of hardness. If you want to support your spine, you should consider going for the medium firm versions as these ones typically provide the best support for the body. You will also appreciate the fact that these mattresses are highly breathable.
If you get too hot in the night, you should consider getting these mattresses. They will reduce the level of heat in your bed, and that will increase your comfort levels in the night. Couples will also appreciate these mattresses since one person will be able to turn without affecting the other person. The only notable con of these mattresses is the fact that they may contain materials which can trigger allergies.
These mattresses are only sold on the internet, and they have to be shipped in a compressed box. This means you cannot try out the mattresses in a store before you buy them. Since they cannot be tested, you will primarily need to rely on reviews from previous buyers. A good thing with these mattresses is that they are delivered in just a few days.
Memory Foam Mattresses
These ones were introduced to the market fairly recently. They are designed to mould to the shape of the body. The mattresses are among the best for back pains since they relieve pressure points around the body. They are also designed with hypo allergic components, meaning they will not trigger allergic reactions. The problem with memory foam mattresses is the fact that they get warm fast. They may also have a sinking motion which could be irritating to some people. You should note that despite the sinking motion, these mattresses can support the spine and relieve back pains.
These mattresses are made with latex foam, and that means they are breathable. If you have allergies, you should consider investing in these mattresses since they are hypo allergic. Latex mattresses are usually hard, so they may not be the best for people with bad backs. If you find firm mattresses best for your body type, you can consider buying latex ones.
There are two other types of mattresses available on the market, but they were excluded from the list above because they are unsuitable for people with bad backs. One of these is the continuous coil mattress. This one is among the cheapest mattresses available, but it tends to move around with you as you sleep. That characteristic makes it unsuitable for people with back pains, especially those who share beds. The other type is the open spring mattress. These ones do not offer support to the spine, and they can easily increase the severity of your back pains. You should also note that cheaper mattresses usually sag after a short period of use. That makes them highly uneconomical.
The Big Back Pain Mattresses Guide
Here are some common problems you should look out for:
The best mattresses will not sag within a few weeks of purchase. Of course, you can lengthen the life of your mattresses by turning them every now and then. But those of very poor quality will still sag no matter what you do. The best way to determine the quality of the mattresses you want to buy is by checking the reviews and ratings from previous buyers. Also, you can check the reviews of the mattresses on consumer sites. Most of these reviews are written by people who have tried out different mattresses. In many cases, products which are significantly cheaper than their alternatives will be of very poor quality. This is because the manufacturers use cheaper materials and equipment to make the mattresses.
Wrong levels of firmness
People with bad backs should pay attention to the firmness of their mattresses. The best mattresses for people with back pains are those which are moderately firm. However, you should try out the mattresses before you select one. According to some reviews and studies, different body types and weights will require different types of mattresses. Some people will find hard mattresses ideal while others will prefer products with some level of softness. If you are shopping online, you can start by visiting a store to try out the different types of mattresses. This will help you determine which ones will suit you best.
Lack of pressure point relief- Some mattresses are designed to relieve pressure at certain points of the body. The mattresses are usually firm or moderately firm. These mattresses will usually offer more comfortable sleeping experiences.
Lack of coolness
You should go for mattresses that have sufficient levels of breathability. These ones are usually the best because they will offer you more comfortable nights. The materials used to make these mattresses do not retain heat, and that will keep you cool throughout the night.
You should consider the size of your mattresses. Many people end up choosing mattresses which are not meant for their beds, and that can cause some inconveniences. It can also affect your comfort when sleeping, especially if the mattress is larger than the frame of your bed. The standard sizes of mattresses in the UK are small single (75 cm by 190 cm), single (90 cm by 190 cm), small double (120 cm by 190 cm), double (135 cm by 190 cm), king size (150 cm by 200 cm), super king size (180 cm by 200 cm), emperor (200 cm by 202 cm), large emperor (215 cm by 217 cm).
When shopping for mattresses for back pains, you should also consider the warranties available. For most of the high-quality mattresses, the warranties should go for more than 10 years. The warranty does not just allow you to rest knowing that you are covered from potential losses; it also gives you confidence that the product is very high in quality. Besides the warranty, you should consider the length of the trial period. Some of the best products on the market come with more than 100 day’s trial periods. The warranties and trial periods are typically listed under the descriptions of the mattresses. If the information is not available, you can look through the reviews of past customers.
If you are working on a tight budget, you may be forced to go for the more affordable mattresses. These ones may not be of the highest quality, but they may offer value which matches their price. They should generally have positive reviews. However, you should not expect them to have lengthy warranties or testing periods.
Bad for the environment- Everyone should be concerned about the state of the environment and the planet. Some materials used to make mattresses are dangerous for the planet. You can consider buying mattresses that are made using natural and organic materials like natural latex, wool, and cotton. Most companies that sell environmentally-friendly mattresses donate some of their profits to environmental non-profit organisations.
Before buying your mattresses, you should make sure the products meet all your needs. You can learn almost everything you need to know by reading the descriptions of the products as well as the reviews left by past customers. Some people also test many different types of mattresses and write reviews on their websites. You can look through their reviews to see which product would be suitable for your back pains.
Many manufacturers and distributors of mattresses allow you to return your product if it does not satisfy you. This offer is usually time-limited. You should still do thorough research before buying your mattresses since returning products can be a hassle. Some sellers will even require you to cover the return shipping fees.
Results and Experiences from Other Consumer Tests
There are many mattress reviews on the internet. To determine which mattresses are the best for back pains, we had to dig through these reviews and find those which were consistently reviewed positively. We only considered the reviews that were written by professional testers. Two of the best sources we found were mattress-guides.net and expertreviewes.co.uk. The reviews touched on these factors:
- Spine support- Since the reviews were specifically for mattresses that eased back pain, spine support was one of the key factors considered. Most brands have been able to develop products that have sufficient spine support, so there wasn’t much difference in the spine support offered by the various mattresses.
- Durability- The best mattresses for back pain should be able to stay firm even after years of use. There were considerable differences in the durability of the mattresses. Most of them could only be used for 7 years while others even had warranties covering them for 15 years. The durable mattresses were highly rated in these reviews.
- Warranty- The best mattresses are usually covered by lengthy warranties. These warranties show that the product is very high in quality. In the reviews, the researchers noted that many low-quality mattresses did not even come with warranties. Others had warranties of 5 or 6 years, and this is quite poor. The best products have warranties that last for more than 15 years. Some even have lifetime warranties.
- Eco-friendliness- When making the reviews, the researchers also considered whether a brand produced eco-friendly mattresses. However, this was not a key component of the research. Many of the best mattresses for back pains are not designed to be eco-friendly.
- Breathability- The best mattresses for back pains will usually help to cool you down at night. The researchers gave better reviews to mattresses which are breathable since these ones offer more comfort in the night. It is worth noting that breathability is not a key concern for everyone. Some people do not sweat as much at night, and they would be comfortable with warm mattresses.
- Trials- Many of the best companies will allow you to test their products so that you can decide whether or not you want to buy them. This is especially important for brands that are online-based. The best reviews were given to companies which offered lengthy trial periods. The longest trial period noted in the reviews was 365 days. Companies that offered trial periods of more than 100 days were generally ranked highly.
- Motion isolation- The researchers made note of the motion isolation property of the different mattresses. Those that had good motion isolation properties were recommended for couples since they allowed one person to move without affecting the partner. This was not a key consideration in the researches. hat
It is important to avoid going for very soft mattresses since they will not keep your spine aligned properly. If you choose to make your purchase online, you should avoid companies that do not offer warranties or trial periods.
The 10 Best Brands for Back Pain Mattresses
Here are the 10 best brands for back pain mattresses:
- Helix Sleep
- John Lewis Ortho Mattress
- Amerisleep Mattress
The Development of Back Pain Mattresses over Time
For a long time, people believed that hard mattresses were the best for back pains. Many people still hold this view, even though it has been proven to be false through scientific studies. Now, most mattresses for back pains are designed to be medium firm.
Human beings have been sleeping on mattresses for a very long time. Until the 18th century, many people had to sleep on mattresses made of wool, reeds, hay and feathers. Sometime in the first half of the 20th century, the first pocket spring mattresses were invented by an English-born man named James Marshall. He eventually settled in Canada. This model is still used to make mattresses today, although some improvements have been made.
Memory foam mattresses would be invented later on in the 1990s. This material was initially invented by NASA in the 1960s, but they would not release it for public use until the 1980s. When the material was eventually released to the public, only Fagerdala World Foams and a few other companies were ready to work with it. This is because the manufacturing process was complicated and unreliable. Fagerdala World Foams made the first foam mattress in 1991, and it was known as the Tempur-Pedic Swedish Mattress. At the time, memory foam mattresses were very expensive. The third generation of the memory foam mattress was introduced in 2006, and since then, many manufacturers have used the technology. Many have modified it to make it ideal for people with back pains.
Bed-in-a-Box mattresses are a fairly recent invention. The first company to make and sell these mattresses was BedInABox.com. It was founded in 2006. A few other companies have copied the concept and made their own bed-in-a-box mattresses.
Facts on Back Pain Mattresses
- Until a few years ago, the consensus was that firm mattresses were better for people with bad backs. Recent studies have proven that these mattresses can worsen back pains. The best mattress for back pains should be medium firm.
- Latex mattresses have been used since 1931.
- Europeans learned about proper mattresses from Arabs. Before the Crusades, Europeans used to sleep on straws bound together. Others would simply sleep on hay or wool. In the Crusades, they did not just learn about the concept of mattresses- they also borrowed the Arabic word for a mattress. Arabs used to refer to mattresses as ‘Matrah’, and this was altered slightly to ‘mattress’.
- Mattresses significantly increase their weight over time. This is because they accumulate dust mites, sweat, and dead skin.
- You don’t have to use a mattress until it starts to sag. After about 8 years, even the best mattresses will have lost their original comfort and support. By this time, the mattress will also be a host to millions of dust mites.
- The type of spring and comfort layers are more important than the spring count. The spring count will have little effect on the overall durability and comfort of the mattress.
- Many people rotate their mattresses every now and then. With many modern memory foam mattresses, this practice is unnecessary.
- A mattress topper will not lengthen the life of your mattress. They are simply meant to add pressure point relief and cushioning to your mattress. If your mattress is old and saggy, you should not even consider buying a mattress topper since it will not have any effect on the quality of your sleep.
Tips For Care and Maintenance of Your Mattress
Here are some of the best tips to help you care for your mattress:
You should note that these practices will help you maintain your mattress for a few years. Once the end of its life comes, you should replace it. After some years, the mattress will have a large population of dust mites and will also have accumulated a lot of dead skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is back pain from mattresses?
Yes, back pains can be caused and reinforced by bad mattresses. This is because the spine needs to be properly aligned for it to stay healthy. A poor mattress will strain the muscles and reinforce bad sleeping postures.
Can mattress toppers cause back pain?
No, the mattress topper is simply meant to increase the cushioning and support offered by your mattress. Your back pains are just caused by your mattress.
I have back pain but cannot afford a new mattress. What should I do?
It would be advisable to save for a decent mattress. However, in the meantime, you can consider adjusting your sleeping position. Avoid sleeping on your stomach as it adds pressure to your spine. Instead, sleep on your back or side. You can also consider placing your mattress on the floor for extra support. If you haven’t turned your mattress in a long time, you should also consider rotating it.
Can a mattress help with back pains?
Yes, a mattress with sufficient spine support can alleviate back pains. That being said, you should first visit your doctor for advice.
What is the best back pain mattress?
There are many products which could be included in the list of the best back pain mattresses. The important thing is to look for a mattress with spinal support and medium levels of firmness.
What causes back pain?
How long should mattresses last?
Different qualities of mattresses will last for different periods. Most mattresses should be used for about 8 years. You can check past reviews on the mattresses to see whether they can be used for a considerable period of time.
Where to buy a mattress in the UK?
Many of the best mattresses for back pain are sold on the internet. Some of the best mattress brands with physical stores in the UK include Silentnight and Tempur UK.
Will my mattress get softer?
If you are buying a mattress for back pain, you probably don’t want it to get softer. Usually, mattresses from high-quality brands do not get soft easily. If properly taken care of, they can stay firm for many years.
Where to recycle an old mattress?
Local councils can collect old mattresses and recycle them. A few of them, including the London Borough of Merton and Liverpool City Council, will even collect the mattress for free.
Links and Sources: