Best Bluetooth Headset 2019 • 7 Bluetooth Headsets Reviews
A Bluetooth headset can be used to make calls, watch videos and listen to music. Our team went through multiple studies and reviews on the internet and was able to assign ratings to the best Bluetooth headsets available on the market.
Bluetooth Headset Leaderboard 2019
What is a Bluetooth Headset?
Bluetooth headsets fit in a single ear or both ears, and they provide a two-way communication medium between the user and their phone. The user can speak to another person through the mic on the Bluetooth headset and can hear them through the earpiece. The best headsets can even be used to communicate in noisy areas. The phone and the headset connect wirelessly via Bluetooth.
How Does a Bluetooth Headset Work?
Bluetooth headsets were developed to get rid of the unsightly wires. They transmit audio signals from your phone to the Bluetooth headset through wireless connectivity. Usually, they will need to be charged and turned on before you can connect them to your phone. For the two devices to pair, Bluetooth should be turned on in your phone, and it should be discoverable.
Advantages and Applications
Bluetooth headsets are among the best inventions today. Whenever you receive a call and do not want to hold your phone to your ear, you can just press the answer button on the headset. You will then be able to communicate effectively with the person on the other end of the line. Many people like to pick their phones with Bluetooth headsets when they are walking through sketchy neighbourhoods. A thief could easily snatch a phone that is held next to your ear, but they will have a harder time taking it out of your pockets.
Another advantage of Bluetooth headsets is the fact that both of your hands will be free. You can focus on the conversation at hand while arranging your desk or even cleaning up the house. You will also be able to give your best in your other tasks since you will not be concentrating on holding the phone up to your ear.
If you have ever made business calls, you know how long the calls can stay on hold. If you have to hold the phone to your ear the whole time, you will end up wasting a lot of time. With a Bluetooth headset, you will be able to roam around the office or house as you complete your other tasks. Once the call is picked up again, you will be alerted and can resume the call.
Driving while using handheld devices is illegal in the UK. It is extremely dangerous to the driver and other people on the road. If you want to be safe and to avoid penalties, your best option would be to use Bluetooth headsets. That being said, if you can, you should avoid talking on the phone when driving. Wireless devices like Bluetooth headsets can still cause some distraction you when you’re driving.
What Types of Bluetooth Headsets Are there?
Here are some main types of headsets:
- In-ear headsets with ear hooks- These Bluetooth headsets are designed to stay hooked to your ear. These are the best for people who normally perform activities that involve a lot of movement.
- Those with silicon rubber tips- These Bluetooth headsets are also developed to hold onto your ear securely. These are the best for light joggers.
- Over the ear Bluetooth headsets with ear hooks- The best overall Bluetooth headsets are designed with ear hooks. They are not in-ear headsets, so you should not expect them to hold securely. These are ideal for immobile people. For example, if you spend most of your time on your desk, they would work best for you.
- Pop-in in-ear headsets- These Bluetooth headsets are designed to be inserted and removed from the ear regularly. If you don’t intend to have your headsets on all through the day, these can be the best for you.
The Big Bluetooth Headset Buyers Guide
All headsets have their drawbacks, even the ones ranked as the best in online reviews. When reading these reviews, you should look out for these potential problems:
- Sound quality– Bluetooth headsets can have poor quality sound, even for regular conversations. If your primary interest is in the sound quality, you can consider buying over-the-ear Bluetooth headsets as they usually have the best quality of sounds.
- The fit– Different Bluetooth headsets will fit differently over your ear. Some will not hold as well as you want, but they will come with other related advantages. For example, stereo Bluetooth headsets may have loops that feel more like typical headphones. These can be difficult to move around in. Other Bluetooth headsets are designed to fit in your ear while others are developed with hooks that go over your ear. There is no universal best fit, so you may have to try them out before you make your choice.
- Battery life– The best Bluetooth headsets are made with batteries that can last for a whole working day. It can be stressful to use a device which runs out of charge after an hour or two. Even if a Bluetooth device is marketed as having a long battery life, you should consider other people’s reviews as the battery may be of inferior quality.
- The charging time– Certain products will retain the charge for extended periods. However, when they eventually run out of charge, they will take hours to charge fully again. The best Bluetooth headsets charge for a maximum of 2 hours. The charging time may be listed in the description, but your best source of such details is the user reviews.
- Bulk- Many Bluetooth headsets are designed to be small and practically unnoticeable. These can be the best if you don’t want to feel weighed down on your ear. That being said, most small Bluetooth headsets have short battery lives.
- The range– It would be annoying to have a Bluetooth device which keeps disconnecting. You should buy a device with a long range if you want to keep the device connected. That being said, the best and worst devices all have more or less the same range. This should be among the last things you consider when choosing a device.
- The charging port– The type of charging port can also cause some inconveniences. Ideally, you should look for a phone with a standard micro USB port. If you get one with a different charging port, you will always be forced to carry your charger around. People with iPhones will even find it easy to get an Android charger at any place.
- Single connectivity– This is not necessarily a problem, but if you intend to connect the Bluetooth headset to multiple devices, you should get a headset with multiple connectivity. Such headsets will be able to connect to your laptop and smartphone at the same time.
You should also consider the purposes of your headset. If you intend to use the device to listen to music, you can consider buying a stereo Bluetooth headset with multiple channels. It should also fit in both ears. In other words, there is no universal best device. The best is dependent on the purpose of the headset.
Ideally, you should buy the headsets from manufacturers who allow for trial periods. In this period, you should make sure you test out all the flaws above and determine whether the headset will work for you. Instead of relying on your gut, you can record some details like charging time and battery life on a piece of paper. The figures can be tallied so that you can determine whether you want to keep it or not. If possible, you can also leave a review for future buyers.
Results and Experiences from Other Consumer Tests
It is always important to consider what other people found out after juxtapositioning the best headsets on the market. Professionals from Top Ten Reviews and The Wire Cutter have spent a lot of time using these headsets, and they eventually came up with reviews for the products. Some of their biggest considerations were:
- The noise cancellation feature
- The comfort and fit
- The controls
- The mic quality
- The features
- The battery life
The Wire Cutter professionals spent more than 180 hours testing the headsets to come up with reviews of the best devices. More than 18 models were tested, so you can trust their reviews. They know which device is the best for your specific purposes.
They did not consider the range of the devices since these headsets rarely ever have a big difference in range. You will not even notice a difference when you buy a headset with a more extended range. In any case, your phone is usually close to you at all times.
The biggest differences were noted in the noise cancellation feature. Some of the best devices cannot be used in noisy environments as they cannot cancel out noise well enough. At the same time, others can only be used in specific types of environments. Some are even able to cancel out noise perfectly, but they cannot cancel out their own noise. Of the devices tested, the Plantronics Voyager 5200 was found to have to best noise cancellation feature for making calls. You should note that the noise cancellation feature is not always well developed in the best products.
Battery life was also a crucial factor in these studies. They only tested some of the best devices, so you should not expect to find a product with less than 2 hours of battery life. In the comparison table, the best products were those with battery lives of between 12 and 15 hours. It was also important to consider whether or not the product was lying idle during the testing perios. If it was being used to listen to music, it should drain the battery very slowly. You can see the differences in battery lives in the reviews of the products.
The mic quality was also considered in the evaluation. It was noted that most companies produce high-quality mics with sufficient noise cancellation. The voice on the other end comes out clearly and loudly.
Another critical factor was the fit of the devices. Regardless of the design, the best products are supposed to fit correctly over the ear. This is because they typically have to be worn over the ear throughout the day. It was noted that many of the best products were designed to fit properly over the ear. This should only be a point of concern if you purchase cheaply-priced devices.
When it comes to price, a few affordable products were noted to have features that match those of other standard headsets. It is, however, advisable to avoid cheap products as they are typically built to last for a very short time. For cheaper products, you will have to analyse the reviews thoroughly.
There are significant differences in the controls of the headsets. Some are designed with the basic on/off and volume controls. Others have buttons for many different purposes. The positioning of the controls is also important. They should be positioned ergonomically. If you have to take the headset off to access the controls, the product was poorly designed.
Finally, to determine which product was the best, they looked at the features in each model. In the reviews, some models were noted to be value-rich but poor in features. Others excelled in both value and features.
Best Bluetooth Headsets Brands
Plantronics produces some of the best headsets on the market. The main selling point of their products is their combination of many useful features. Some of the unique features in these devices include the different aware modes and the bundled app. This app adds a whole other layer of features to the devices. Another excellent advantage of headsets from this brand is the high sound quality. They usually deliver a lot of bass. You will also appreciate the controls in these devices. They are ergonomically placed in the ear cups, and that makes them easy to use.
Plantronics headsets might be among the best on the market, but they also come with some cons. First, their noise cancellation feature is not developed to work in certain environments. They also produce a lot of self-noise. In the reviews, you will find some Plantronics products among the best headset. Reading through the reviews will help you determine which one is the best for you.
Jabra is a well-known manufacturer of Bluetooth headsets. The company offers inexpensive Bluetooth headsets that are very high in quality. Their mics are designed with noise-filtering technology to make sure your voice is clear and loud on the other end. The noise cancellation technology in Jebra headsets is still very poorly developed. Also, the fit of the device is below average. Almost all the devices from this company have few controls. They come with a power switch, a multifunctional volume control, and a volume control. They will usually be set to pair when they are first switched on.
As you will note in the reviews, Jabra Bluetooth headsets are high in quality but low on features. The devices can be great if you are looking for your first Bluetooth headset.
Motorola is an old manufacturer of headsets. Their devices are quite small and light, and this makes them aesthetically appealing. Being such light items, you can expect them also to be comfortable to wear. If you intend to wear your headsets for a very long time, these devices will suit you perfectly. Motorola headsets are quite cheap, and this is part of the reason why they are known to deliver high value for money. The headsets are designed with volume buttons and call buttons, both of which are placed just over the speaker.
Motorola is a very old company, so you can expect their headsets to be of very high quality. One problem mentioned in the reviews of the devices is the low maximum volume. You will usually struggle to hear the person on the other side of the call, especially if you are in a noisy environment. The audio and voice quality are also not the best.
Sennheiser primarily produces headphones and headsets for gamers. These devices can also work well for calls and other daily purposes. They are developed with the latest Bluetooth technology, hearing protection features, and extended battery lives. Unfortunately, with all these features, the company rarely ever tries to create headsets with decent sound quality. The mic, on the other hand, is quite advanced. Their Bluetooth headsets also allow dual connectivity, meaning you can connect two devices at the same time.
You should note that many of Sennheiser headsets do not have Bluetooth connectivity. Those with the wireless feature are quite small and have a professional design.
Samsung is famous for its electronics, and more specifically, its smartphones. They also design headsets. In fact, they release new models every year. The models have a comfortable fit and are known for their decent sound quality. They also typically last for a very long time. A single charge can take you for about 11 hours. Many Samsung headsets are designed to go around the neck. That is comfortable and secure for many people. You will also appreciate the vibration feature in these devices. Whenever you get a call, the headset will vibrate to notify you.
The main problem with these devices is their open design. That means you will experience some sound distortion in high noise places.
BlueParrot headsets are designed for professional use. These headsets are great for people who work in noisy environments. The company has developed a high-quality noise cancellation feature which blocks out disturbances in all sorts of environments. You should especially consider going for the devices with large ear cups. These ones absorb all the noise in the surroundings. You will also appreciate the high volume in this device. The volume can reach levels which would be irritating for your ear, but you can, of course, lower it a little.
Many people have complained in online reviews that BlueParrot products take very long to charge. Many of them can take about 3.5 hours to charge fully.
Huawei has established its name in the smartphone manufacturing industry. The company is also involved in the manufacture of headsets. The Huawei FreeBuds headset is currently the most popular headset from this company. Just like their phones, their headsets have sleek designs and excellent packaging. They are also very small and light, meaning you will not have to carry around noticeable devices on your ear. Another advantage of these headsets is the fact that they only need to be connected to your phone once. From there, they will connect automatically when they are turned on.
As you will note in many user reviews, Huawei Bluetooth headsets can be pricey. This is because they make the best devices.
Sony headsets have simple and plain designs. One of the best features in Sony headsets is the dual connectivity. This feature allows you to connect two devices to the headset at the same time. You should note that this feature is not available in older Sony headset models. Newer designs also feature USB Type-C connectivity instead of the traditional micro USB ports.
The cons of Sony headsets include the large designs and the fact that they only have single earpieces. If you intend to use the device for music, Sony headsets are not for you. You can learn more about their devices by going through online reviews.
The Development of Bluetooth Headsets over Time
Many people think headsets were invented by modern tech companies. In reality, these devices were invented more than 100 years ago, in 1910. The inventor, Nathaniel Baldwin, came up with the device in his kitchen at his home in Utah, USA. At the time, they were simply used as telephone receivers and were primarily used in the US Navy. In 1958, the history of the headsets took a turn when John C. Koss invented the first stereo headphone. Before this year, the devices could only be practically used for radio communication. The invention of John Koss meant that the headphones could be used to listen to music.
The headphones were still very large and heavy, and people in the aircraft industry were having trouble using them. This prompted Plantronics to come up with a headset which was not meant to be worn over the head. The first headset was known as the StarSet, and it sold out in the first year. The company came up with the Supra headset in the 1980s, and this was also well appreciated around the world.
The introduction of the M-Series headsets by Plantronics came in the 2000s when hands-free cellphones grew in popularity. Today, many different companies have their own versions of Bluetooth headsets, and they all come with their strong points and their weaknesses.
Facts on Bluetooth Headsets
Here are some interesting facts on headsets:
- Headsets suddenly shot up in popularity in 2012. There was a 32% increase in sales of these devices in that year. This is likely because of the increase in sales of smartphones which could play music over Bluetooth. It should also be noted that smartphones had significantly gone down in price by 2012.
- About 73% of people under the age of 35 wear their headsets for at least 4 hours every day. The main reason for wearing headsets for this long was to avoid interacting with other people.
- More than 50% of millennials own at least four pairs of headsets.
- The most popular headset brand is Sony, and it accounts for 17% of the sales in the industry. Beats by Dre, which is currently owned by Apple, follows closely with an 11% global market share.
- 25% of headset users claim that they use their devices primarily to make calls. Another 25% claims to use the device to read e-books primarily.
- Increased headset use has not led to a proportional increase in hearing loss cases. The reported cases have actually gone down by about 2%.
- Even though many people now use headsets to listen to music and to make calls, 73% of Apple users did not think it was the best decision by Apple to remove the audio jack. Also, 71% of Android users said they were less likely to switch for this same reason. According to some reviews, one of the problems reported by iPhone 7 users was the battery drain from the constant Bluetooth use.
Safety Instructions when Dealing with Headsets
Many people worry about the Bluetooth rays used when connecting headsets to mobile phones. In reality, the radiation released by these devices is a lot lower than that of your cell phone. In fact, it is advisable to make calls on Bluetooth devices as opposed to mobile ones as that will reduce your exposure to dangerous rays.
That aside, here are some instructions to help you use your headsets safely:
- Don’t turn up the volume beyond a point where you can hear the sound comfortably. If you usually need some time to adjust your ears after using your headsets, you should consider lowering the volume. It is easy to suffer from hearing loss because of the exposure to very loud noises. If you need to enjoy your best music, you would be better off going for headphones with high-quality noise cancellation features.
- Avoid listening to music on the headsets for more than an hour at a time. It is better to take a break for five minutes every hour.
- If you are worried that you may be suffering from hearing loss, it would be best to get tested as soon as possible. If the problem is diagnosed early, it can be handled more effectively.
- Avoid listening to music when walking in the streets. You can easily get hit by a vehicle. Also, if you are walking through rough places, it would be better to stay aware of your surroundings.
- If you are using in-ear headsets, avoid shoving them far into your ears.
- Check the IP rating of the device before letting it sit in water- It’s rarely a good idea to get into the water with your headsets, even if it is labelled water-resistant or water-proof. In many cases, the devices will have a very low IP rating, and that will still allow the companies to sell their products as water-proof. In online reviews, you are likely to see people complaining that their electronics broke down in water even though they were claimed to be the best water-proof devices available. If the headset has an IP rating of 6, then it can be used in water. Most of the Bluetooth headsets only have enough protection to withstand raindrops.
Besides these instructions, you should avoid cheaper products. Typically, these are made with cheaper materials and will break after a few uses. In our reviews, you can find some of the best products which are also affordable.
Steps to Set Up Your Bluetooth Headset
Some headsets don’t need to be set up. They will automatically connect to your phone when turned on. For others, you will have to pair the two devices manually. Follow these steps to set up the device:
- Turn Bluetooth on in your phone. Make sure both devices are discoverable.
- Press the on/Bluetooth button on your headset until you hear the sound ‘pairing’. Devices with LED lights will usually flash when the devices start pairing.
- Your phone may ask you for a PIN. Usually, this is 0000.
After setting up your headset, you will be able to enjoy all your media on your phone. You should note that some of the best headsets which require you to install apps in order to connect to them. Even if you take the best item from our review, it will still break down if poorly handled. Here are some tips to help you care for and maintain your Bluetooth headsets: Invest in a protective case- If you lose the original storage case of your headsets, you should make sure you replace it quickly. The casing will protect your headset from elements like dust. Also, some headsets are quite small and can easily get lost. Storing them in cases can prevent cases of loss. Turn down the volume of your device before connecting your Bluetooth headset- Exposing your headset to loud volume suddenly can easily damage your device. Avoid using your headsets in humid and wet places- Headsets and all other electronics should never be used in humid places. If your manufacturer claims that the device is water-proof or water-resistant, they could simply be referring to the fact that it has an IP rating of above 1. This can only protect your devices from water splashes and raindrops. You are only allowed to carry your headsets to a pool party if it has an IP rating of 6. Don’t turn the volume of the Bluetooth headset too high- Just like speakers and other audio devices, headsets can get damaged because of playing very loud music. Although this is unlikely to happen, you should not risk damaging your devices. Cleaning- You should try to clean your headsets at least once every week. Accumulated dirt can affect the functioning of your headset, and it can also lead to its eventual destruction. Proper storage- Your Bluetooth headsets should be stored in places where they cannot get affected by accidental spillages. Also, they should be kept in places where pets and kids cannot reach. Try to leave it in its storage case as often as you can. Use- Overusing your Bluetooth headset will not just damage your ears- it can also damage the device itself. Even though the Bluetooth headsets are designed to be used for hours on a single charge, you should limit active usage to a maximum of two hours at a time. You should not let the headsets heat up from excessive use. Replace damaged parts- You should regularly check your Bluetooth headsets for any signs of damage. These parts can sometimes be replaced. Replacing damaged parts can significantly lengthen the life of your device. It is also much cheaper than outright purchasing a new device. Handle the Bluetooth headsets with care- These devices are meant to withstand harsh treatment. However, you don’t have to test out this claim on your own device. Make sure you place it down gently and avoid handling it roughly. When adjusting the width to fit your head size, make sure you stretch it out gently. Otherwise, the device may not serve you for a very long time. Avoid using chemicals to clean the Bluetooth headset- These devices can easily get damaged if you clean them with water or detergents. The best materials to use for cleaning are baby wipes. Here are some products which can be used instead of Bluetooth headsets: If you insist on going wireless, you can use these Bluetooth devices. They work well on Android as well as iPhone devices. You should note that Airpods are basically earphones that don’t have a cord. They were first released in 2016 and are currently regarded as one of the best inventions by Apple. Airpods can be used to pick calls. You simply need to speak into the mic at the bottom of the speakers. They also deliver a very high quality of sound and are great for listening to music. Regular earphones can also work well as alternatives to Bluetooth headsets. Most companies which make headsets also manufacture earphones. These are similar to headsets, except for the fact that they are typically worn over the head. Also, they are primarily used to listen to music.
10 Tips for Care and Maintenance of Your Bluetooth Headsets
Useful Alternatives to Bluetooth Headsets
Even if you take the best item from our review, it will still break down if poorly handled. Here are some tips to help you care for and maintain your Bluetooth headsets:
Invest in a protective case- If you lose the original storage case of your headsets, you should make sure you replace it quickly. The casing will protect your headset from elements like dust. Also, some headsets are quite small and can easily get lost. Storing them in cases can prevent cases of loss.
Turn down the volume of your device before connecting your Bluetooth headset- Exposing your headset to loud volume suddenly can easily damage your device.
Avoid using your headsets in humid and wet places- Headsets and all other electronics should never be used in humid places. If your manufacturer claims that the device is water-proof or water-resistant, they could simply be referring to the fact that it has an IP rating of above 1. This can only protect your devices from water splashes and raindrops. You are only allowed to carry your headsets to a pool party if it has an IP rating of 6.
Don’t turn the volume of the Bluetooth headset too high- Just like speakers and other audio devices, headsets can get damaged because of playing very loud music. Although this is unlikely to happen, you should not risk damaging your devices.
Cleaning- You should try to clean your headsets at least once every week. Accumulated dirt can affect the functioning of your headset, and it can also lead to its eventual destruction.
Proper storage- Your Bluetooth headsets should be stored in places where they cannot get affected by accidental spillages. Also, they should be kept in places where pets and kids cannot reach. Try to leave it in its storage case as often as you can.
Use- Overusing your Bluetooth headset will not just damage your ears- it can also damage the device itself. Even though the Bluetooth headsets are designed to be used for hours on a single charge, you should limit active usage to a maximum of two hours at a time. You should not let the headsets heat up from excessive use.
Replace damaged parts- You should regularly check your Bluetooth headsets for any signs of damage. These parts can sometimes be replaced. Replacing damaged parts can significantly lengthen the life of your device. It is also much cheaper than outright purchasing a new device.
Handle the Bluetooth headsets with care- These devices are meant to withstand harsh treatment. However, you don’t have to test out this claim on your own device. Make sure you place it down gently and avoid handling it roughly. When adjusting the width to fit your head size, make sure you stretch it out gently. Otherwise, the device may not serve you for a very long time.
Avoid using chemicals to clean the Bluetooth headset- These devices can easily get damaged if you clean them with water or detergents. The best materials to use for cleaning are baby wipes.
Here are some products which can be used instead of Bluetooth headsets:
If you insist on going wireless, you can use these Bluetooth devices. They work well on Android as well as iPhone devices. You should note that Airpods are basically earphones that don’t have a cord. They were first released in 2016 and are currently regarded as one of the best inventions by Apple. Airpods can be used to pick calls. You simply need to speak into the mic at the bottom of the speakers. They also deliver a very high quality of sound and are great for listening to music.
Regular earphones can also work well as alternatives to Bluetooth headsets. Most companies which make headsets also manufacture earphones.
These are similar to headsets, except for the fact that they are typically worn over the head. Also, they are primarily used to listen to music.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Bluetooth headsets safe?
Bluetooth headsets release radiation, but this is too low to affect the human brain. In fact, if you are concerned about protecting your health, you should avoid talking on the phone and instead answer phones using these devices.
What is a Bluetooth headset driver?
Headsets have drivers which convert the electric signals into sound. The unit is made up of a magnet, vocal coils, and a diaphragm. The driver can get damaged when the headset falls on a hard surface.
Why can’t my Bluetooth headset connect to my phone?
If you have followed the instructions to the letter, you can try restarting the phone and headset. Also, you should bring the two devices closer.
Can Bluetooth headset be paired with two devices?
This depends on the specific headset model. If the device has multiple connectivity, you can connect it to multiple devices at a time.
Can Bluetooth headset connect to the TV?
Yes, you can watch your television on your Bluetooth headset. If you have a smart TV, you can open the accessory menu and open the Bluetooth options. You can then set it to pair with your device. If your TV is not developed with Bluetooth functionality, you can consider adding external adapters.
Can Bluetooth headset battery be replaced?
Usually, the batteries of Bluetooth headsets cannot be replaced. The batteries of specific models can be replaced, so you can contact your manufacturer before throwing the whole thing away.
Can Bluetooth headset play music?
How do Bluetooth headsets charge?
Bluetooth headsets usually have micro USB ports. These can be used to charge the device just like you would charge your smartphone.
When is the Bluetooth headset fully charged?
Different devices will take different lengths of time to charge fully. The LED lights will usually turn blue or go off completely when the headset charges fully.
Which Bluetooth headset has the longest battery life?
Many Bluetooth headsets have battery lives of over 11 hours. Currently, the Plantronics Voyager Focus UC has the longest battery life at 12 hours talk and 15 hours listening. You can read the review of specific Blouetooth headsets to determine their battery lives.