Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Entertainment

Fans boycott Ubisoft games and demand company be held accountable after sexual misconduct allegations

Ed Nightingale May 21, 2021
bookmarking iconBookmark Article
Ubisoft Assassins Creed Valhalla

Assassins Creed Valhalla. (Ubisoft)

Gamers are demanding Ubisoft be held accountable for alleged sexual harassment within the company.

Since early last year, allegations of physical and sexual abuse at Ubisoft have forced the company to face its so-called ‘toxic’ culture.

Those allegations came from various members of staff across multiple departments at the Assassins Creed and Far Cry developer (among other games). Then Vice President Maxime Beland resigned after allegations he choked a female member of staff at a Far Cry 4 launch party.

Now, a new report from 5 May in French magazine Le Télégramme claims that not enough change has been made at the company.

According to the report, HR director Cécile Cornet stepped down in July 2020 but only left recently. One source claimed that many HR personnel who oversaw the allegations remain in their roles without consequence. The source doesn’t “expect anything to come out of these appointments”.

A further source from Ubisoft’s Canadian office noted that since Christophe Derennes took over for Yannis Mallat as Managing Director, “nothing has changed” in the culture.

Mallat faced multiple allegations of sexual misconduct and Derennes is the cousin of Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot.

Fans have taken to social media to air their disappointment in the company, with #holdubisoftaccountable trending on Twitter.

YouTuber LazerzZ released a video on the topic that soon gained traction across social media.

The video details the situation at Ubisoft and in it, LazerzZ vows to not buy another Ubisoft product.

“All we focus on now is how we move forward. And for me that is not buying another product from Ubisoft until they take responsibility and they are held accountable for their actions,” he says.

While some high profile members of staff have left Ubisoft due to the alleged sexual misconduct, others have been shifted around and remain at the company.

“I cannot continue to support this company, even if it’s to critique their games… I can’t continue giving them my money,” says LazerzZ.

Other fans have also shared their feelings and resources across social media.

 

In a statement to PinkNews, Ubisoft said: “Over a period of several months, Ubisoft has implemented major changes across its organisation, internal processes and procedures in order to guarantee a safe, inclusive and respectful working environment for all team members.”

Those changes include anonymous reporting tools for misconduct, all allegations thoroughly investigated by external experts, global training on appropriate workplace conduct, and a revamp of the code of conduct.

New appointments include: Lidwine Sauer as Head of Workplace Culture, Anika Grant as a new Chief People Officer, and Raashi Sikka as a new VP of Global Diversity and Inclusion.

Ubisoft added: “These concrete actions demonstrate the profound changes that have taken place at every level of the company. Additional initiatives are underway and are being rolled out over the coming months. We are committed to strengthening our culture and values in the long term, to help ensure every team member at Ubisoft is heard, respected and valued in the workplace.”

For more gaming news, follow Gaymeo on Facebook. You can also email us with any news or tips on [email protected]

Related topics: gaming, gaming industry

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon