Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Film and TV

ITV told to sack John Barrowman from Dancing on Ice after misconduct claims

Emma Powys Maurice May 10, 2021
bookmarking iconBookmark Article
John Barrowman

John Barrowman at the TRIC Awards in March 2020 (Mike Marsland/WireImage)

ITV bosses are facing calls to sack John Barrowman from Dancing on Ice amid claims he repeatedly exposed himself on the set of Torchwood and Doctor Who.

Alec Shelbrooke, Conservative MP for Elmet and Rothwell in West Yorkshire, is pressuring ITV to take further action in the wake of clams against John Barrowman.

The actor, 54, admitted to “tomfoolery” following a resurfaced video in which his Doctor Who co-star Noel Clarke recalled how the star would “take his d**k out every five seconds” and slap it on his colleagues.

Shortly afterwards two former runners confirmed to The Guardian that Barrowman would “get his genitals out on a regular basis”, but stressed that it was not sexually predatory behaviour, like that which Clarke has been accused of. Clarke denies allegations he sexually harassed and bullied more than 20 women.

Barrowman has since apologised for his past antics, describing it as “high-spirited behaviour” that was was “only ever intended in good humour to entertain colleagues on set and backstage”.

He added that he now understood his actions upset colleagues, but he said it was never intended or interpreted as sexual.

“Inappropriate behaviour like this is not acceptable no matter what the circumstances,” Shelbrooke told The Sun.

“ITV and the BBC have a responsibility with the standards they set. Dancing On Ice is a family show and ITV shouldn’t be willing to indulge this behaviour in any way.

“It’s incumbent on broadcasters to show they are not condoning such behaviour in any way.”

John Barrowman been a regular feature on the Dancing on Ice since 2020, alongside Ashley Banjo, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean.

ITV bosses have remained tight-lipped over whether Barrowman would return to the judging panel for the upcoming series of the show, which normally airs in January.

A spokesperson told The Sun that talent “would only be attached to the forthcoming series closer to the time”.

Barrowman’s lawyers said the actor did “not recall” the specific incidents recounted by the two former TV runners.

The BBC has confirmed he was previously reprimanded for his behaviour.

Doctor Who executive producer Julie Gardner said she admonished him in 2008 after a complaint on Torchwood.

“To my knowledge, John’s inappropriate behaviour stopped thereafter,” she said.

PinkNews contacted a representative for John Barrowman for comment.

Related topics: john barrowman

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon