Ariana Grande shares moving message to commemorate the three-year anniversary of the tragic Manchester bombings
It’s three years since the Manchester bombing, when a terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert killed 22 people and injured 59 more.
The horrific attack took place at the end of the Ariana Grande show at Manchester Arena in 2017.
Taking to Instagram to commemorate the anniversary, Grande shared a note that said: “I want to take a moment to acknowledge and send my love to everyone that is feeling the sadness and tremendous heaviness of the anniversary coming up this week.”
She continued: “Not a day goes by that this doesn’t affect you and all of us still. I will be thinking of you all week and weekend.”
“My heart, thoughts, prayers are with you always.”
Earlier this year, it was announced that in the wake of the Manchester bombing, Martyn’s law – named for Martyn Hett, 29, one of those who died – would be rolled out across the UK to tighten security at public venues and require them to have a counter-terrorism plan.
Labour leader Keir Starmer also marked the anniversary, writing on Twitter: “Today marks three years since the tragic Manchester Arena attacks.
“We remember all those who lost their lives and the families, friends and communities shaken to their core.”
Today marks 3 years since the tragic #ManchesterArena attacks.
We remember all those who lost their lives and the families, friends and communities shaken to their core.
— Keir Starmer (@Keir_Starmer) May 22, 2020
Lisa Nandy, Labour’s Manchester-born shadow foreign secretary, also marked the anniversary with a tweet.
“For all those who lost their lives at Manchester Arena three years ago today, the many survivors still struggling to come to terms with it and the communities who rallied round, we are with you today and all days,” Nandy said.
Three years on, all of our thoughts go out to the innocent people who tragically lost their lives while enjoying a night out in the sickening Manchester Arena attack.
We will always remember them.
Terrorists will not divide us.
— Priti Patel (@pritipatel) May 22, 2020
Three years ago today, a heartbreaking attack at the #ManchesterArena cut short the lives of 22 people and forever changed the lives of many more.
We will never forget those who died and those who continue to live with devastating consequences.
— LGBT Foundation (@LGBTfdn) May 22, 2020
Today is the 3rd anniversary of the #ManchesterArena attack on the Ariana Grande concert. We shall never forget the #22Angels who died, nor those who survived and live with the consequences, nor those left bereaved. We will remember them. There will be a 1 minute silence at 2pm🐝 pic.twitter.com/p6ebnIMT6M
— 🌈 Angela Rayner 🌈 (@AngelaRayner) May 22, 2020
Labour MP Dawn Butler wrote that there will be a two-minute silence at 2pm, adding that it is also seven years since the murder of British soldier Lee Rigby.
At 2pm a minutes silence to remember and reflect. 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/9nAOE1kuuN
— (((Dawn Butler))) (@DawnButlerBrent) May 22, 2020
The Manchester bomber, Salman Abedi, died by suicide after detonating a bomb at Manchester Arena on 22 May 2017.
In the trial of his brother, Hashem Abedi, 22, who was found guilty of conspiring with him to carry out the attacks, London’s Old Bailey heard that panic and mayhem seized the crowds at Manchester Arena as the blast reverberated through the building.
Adoring fans of the then 23-year-old pop star were rushed to six hospitals nearby in what witnesses described as a “horror movie”.
Around 264 concert-goers were wounded and 22 died, some aged as young as eight.
Around 670 concert-goers reported psychological trauma as a result.
More from PinkNews