Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Crime

Man ‘plotted terror attack on Pride in London parade’, court hears

Nick Duffy January 8, 2020
Uber driver planned to ‘unleash death’ by driving van into Pride parade

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan joins the Pride in London parade on 06 July, 2019 in London, England. The festival, which this year celebrates 50 years since the Stonewall Uprising, attracts hundreds of thousands of people to the streets of the British capital to celebrate the LGBT+ community. (Photo by WIktor Szymanowicz/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

A man plotted a prospective violent attack on the Pride in London parade and other targets in the city, a court has heard.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, 28, from Luton, is accused of preparing acts of terror.

The 28-year-old, who worked as an Uber driver, booked “a firearms training course” and researched potential attack targets between January and July 2019, prosecutors told Woolwich Crown Court on Wednesday.

Chowdhury’s potential targets included a London tour bus, the Pride in London parade and waxwork museum Madame Tussauds.

He was arrested in July 2019 after an investigation by counter-terror police.

Pride in London parade ‘was potential terror target’.

According to Sky News, prosecutor Duncan Atkinson QC told the court that Chowdhury was “keen to take part in an attack on a high profile and very public target in the UK”.

He said: “The targets mentioned included Madame Tussauds, the [Pride in London] parade and an attack on tourists on a London open-top tour bus.

“The object was to unleash death and suffering on non-Muslim members of the public who happened to be present, using a firearm, sword and even a van as part of an attack.”

A general view of the parade during Pride in London 2019
A general view of the parade during Pride in London 2019 (Tristan Fewings/Getty Images for Pride in London)

Chowdhurywas uncovered after telling undercover police officers of his plans and seeking to involve them, the court heard.

His sister, Sneha Chowdhury, is also facing a charge of failing to disclose information relating to her brother’s alleged attack plans.

Uber driver was previously acquitted over Buckingham Palace incident.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury previously came to the attention of police in 2017, when he drove a car through bollards outside Buckingham Palace, before exiting the car wielding a sword and becoming involved in a violent altercation with two officers.

However, a jury found him not guilty of terror offences over that incident in December 2018, after claiming the incident was an attempt at “suicide by cop” rather than an attack.

Atkinson told the court: “Whatever the position in 2017, he was unquestionably preparing for terrorism in 2019.”

He added that Chowdhury was “motivated by dreams of martyrdom for the cause of Islam, and inspired by preachers of hate”.

Both Mohiussunnath and Sneha Chowdhury deny the charges. The trial continues.

More: London, Pride in London, Terror attack

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon