Queen forces Donald Trump to stop using ‘We Will Rock You’
The rock band Queen has ordered Donald Trump to stop using their music.
The president had tweeted a campaign video on October 10 that used the band’s track ‘We Will Rock You’.
However, it has since been pulled down from Twitter after the band issued a takedown notice.
Video tweet removed after copyright complaint.
It now displays the message: “Video not displayed. This video has been removed in response to a report from the copyright holder.”
A spokesperson for Queen told Buzzfeed: “[The band] has already entered into a process to call for non use of Queen song copyrights by the Trump campaign. This is ongoing.”
The video was viewed 1.7 million times before it was removed from the platform.
It is the second time in just days the president has had a video pulled down on the platform after Nickelback, a band beloved by straight people, also sought the removal of a clip using their song ‘Photograph’.
Queen has ordered Donald Trump to stop using their songs before
More from PinkNews
Queen previously condemned Trump’s use of ‘We Are the Champions’ in 2016, when he announced Mike Pence as his running mate.
On that occasion, the surviving members of the band confirmed it was “an unauthorised use at the Republican Convention against our wishes”.
When Trump played the track previously, guitarist Brian May said: “I can confirm that permission to use the track was neither sought nor given.
“We are taking advice on what steps we can take to ensure this use does not continue.
“Regardless of our views on Mr Trump’s platform, it has always been against our policy to allow Queen music to be used as a political campaigning tool.
“Our music embodies our own dreams and beliefs, but it is for all who care to listen and enjoy.”