Police are hunting five suspects in an ‘abhorrent’ homophobic ‘pepper spray’ attack in London
The Metropolitan Police has renewed its appeal for information about two “abhorrent” homophobic ‘pepper spray’ attacks in Brixton, south London.
CCTV footage of people allegedly associated with the attacks has been released by police in an attempt to identify them.
The two incidents, in which four people were attacked, took place in the early hours of January 19, the first inside a KFC on Brixton Road at 4am and the second at a nearby bus stop 20 minutes later.
The victims were sprayed with what is thought to be a “corrosive substance” and detectives said they are treating the “unprovoked and targeted” incidents as linked.
The two 22-year-old victims of the second attack spoke to the police after they were sprayed with the “unknown, noxious” substance which may have been a type of pepper spray.
The first two victims have not been identified and police are calling for them to make contact to give their accounts of the assault and help with investigations.
Lead investigator on this case, detective constable Amy Cross, said: “This was a completely unprovoked and targeted attack on at least two members of the public, with a further two victims not yet in contact with police.
“Both the attack and the homophobic motivation of this assault are abhorrent, and I appeal to anyone with any information that could assist the investigation to come forward.”
The five suspects shown in the CCTV footage are described as:
- “A black male, wearing a black beanie, grey tracksuit, with dark elbow patches and a gilet jacket.”
- “A light-skinned black male with a ‘chin strap’ beard and of a tall muscular build.”
- “A black male who had his hood up, the top had white scribbles on it.”
- “A person wearing a dark navy tracksuit with multiple white stripes on the legs.”
- “A black male and of a larger build than the other men, with curly, short hair, green tracksuit trousers and a black puffa-style jacket.”
Anyone with information has been asked to contact Lambeth CID by dialling 101 and quoting reference CAD.