Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Entertainment

Bryan Singer’s next film Red Sonja ‘on hold’ after sex abuse allegations

Nick Duffy February 12, 2019
Director Bryan Singer arrives on the red carpet of the Los Angeles premiere of 'Valkyrie' at the Directors Guild of America on December 18, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Director Bryan Singer arrives on the red carpet of the Los Angeles premiere of 'Valkyrie' at the Directors Guild of America on December 18, 2008 in Los Angeles, California. (Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

Bohemian Rhapsody director Bryan Singer’s next film Red Sonja has been put on hold indefinitely, after the director faced allegations of sex abuse.

Bryan Singer, the gay director behind Oscar-nominated Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsodyhas been accused of sexual misconduct by separate eight men—all of which he denies.

Since fresh allegations broke in The Atlantic in January, a string of organisations have cut ties with the director—with LGBT charity GLAAD revoking Bohemian Rhapsody‘s award nominations, while Singer’s name was also removed from Bohemian Rhapsody‘s BAFTA nomination.

One of the Singer’s few remaining announced projects may also now be in trouble.

Singer had been set to direct action-fantasy film Red Sonja, based on the comic book hero, who is a female survivor of sexual assault.

Red Sonja delayed indefinitely after Bryan Singer sex abuse claims

Although Millennium Films has rebuffed calls to remove Singer from the project, The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline both report that the project has been put on hold indefinitely.

According to the Hollywood trade outlets, the company has removed Red Sonja from its slate of upcoming titles.

Although there is no formal cancellation for the film, it will not be on sale at an upcoming industry event, the European Film Market in Berlin.

Director Bryan Singer is seen on the grid before the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 9, 2013 in Montreal, Canada.
Director Bryan Singer is seen on the grid before the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 9, 2013 in Montreal, Canada. (Mark Thompson/Getty)

The film was set to begin filming in Bulgaria later in 2019, but no casting for the project has been announced.

Many Hollywood stars have vowed not to work with Singer.

Star Trek star Anthony Rapp, a sexual assault survivor, said any actors who do work with Singer would be held to account.

Rapp said: “Any actor who agrees to work on this film is complicit in keeping a predator in power and will be put on blast.”

Red Sonja exec Avi Lerner under fire over ‘fake news’ statement

An initial statement released under the name of Millennium Films executive Avi Lerner had dismissed calls for Singer to be dropped from Red Sonja, branding the sex abuse claims “fake news.”

The statement said: “Bryan Singer continues to be attached. The over $800 million Bohemian Rhapsody has grossed, making it the highest grossing drama in film history, is testament to his remarkable vision and acumen.

“I know the difference between agenda driven fake news and reality, and I am very comfortable with this decision. In America people are innocent until proven otherwise.”

However, Lerner later distanced himself from the comments.

He told The Hollywood Reporter the statement had been written on his behalf, and that he had approved it without reading it.

Lerner said that the comments had “came out the wrong way,” adding: “I don’t want to apologise. I just want to clarify [the statement].

“I think victims should be heard and this allegation should be taken very, very seriously. I just don’t agree to judge by the Twitter. I want [the accused] to be judged by the court.”

Read comments (0)

Close icon