The trailer is here for Elton John film Rocketman and it looks wild
The trailer has landed for Sir Elton John’s pet film project, Rocketman.
The film takes a surreal, hyper-fantastical look at the early life of the music legend.
Taron Egerton plays Sir Elton in the upcoming film, having previously starred alongside Sir Elton in 2017’s Kingsman: The Golden Circle.
The trailer, released on Monday, gives a glimpse at the star’s infamous luxury lifestyle, depicting the highs and lows of his rise to fame.
It also reveals Egerton’s cover of the title track, “Rocketman,” in an absurdist sequence that sees band members begin to float on stage.
Sir Elton and husband David Furnish are executive producers on the project.
It’s not a straight biopic based on the singer’s life, however.
Egerton told Collider: “Everyone thinks it’s a biopic. It isn’t.
“It’s a fantasy musical so it’s actually his songs used to express important beats in his life at emotional moments.
“He’s not the only character that sings. It’s going to be fun.”
The film is set for release in 2019.
A photo released on Friday showed Egerton’s transformation into Sir Elton, sporting an eccentric outfit complete with the singer’s signature tinted glasses, onboard what appears to be a private jet.
The actor has gone through months of prep for the role.
Speaking in May he said: “I’ve recorded some songs. I’ve been doing singing lessons.
“The next step is I need to think about choreography and trying to create some semblance of a performance that is at least reminiscent of him.”
More from PinkNews
Dexter Fletcher is directing, with the screenplay by Lee Hall.
The project has been in the works for many years.
Sir Elton first mentioned the film plans in 2012, suggesting that Justin Timberlake was his favoured choice to star.
The singer told the LA Times he planned to co-produce the film with husband David Furnish, adding it would be a “surreal look at my life, and not just a factual look at my life, more in the manner of a Moulin Rouge.”
He added that a “normal biopic” would not be appropriate “because my life hasn’t been like that.”
The Dark Knight Rises star Tom Hardy was linked to the project in 2013, though he departed the film when plans were revived in 2017.