Entertainment

New sexual assault case filed against Kevin Spacey

Ella Braidwood August 22, 2018
bookmarking iconBookmark Article

Kevin Spacey will appear in cinemas at least one more time to star in Billionaire Boys Club - a film which was made at least a year before sexual misconduct allegations came to light (Getty)

A new sexual assault case has been filed against disgraced American actor Kevin Spacey.

It is the second legal case made against the twice Oscar-winning actor to be handed to Californian prosecutors, according to the The Hollywood Reporter.

The publication reported that authorities had confirmed that the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office is currently reviewing the latest lawsuit against Spacey.

The first case to be filed in California, made by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, was presented to the district attorney’s office in April.

The Hollywood Reporter stated that it is not known which law enforcement body presented the latest case.

The actor was dropped from a number of major projects following accusations of sexual misconduct made by actor  Anthony Rapp in October 2017.

He was then accused of sexual misconduct and sexual assault by a number of other men speaking out as part of the #MeToo movement.

Netflix series House Of Cards, in which he played the lead role, had him written out, and director Ridley Scott had him cut from All The Money In The World and drafted in Christopher Plummer as a replacement.

Spacey is being investigated in the US and in Europe over the sexual abuse claims.

The latest sexual assault case to be filed against Spacey comes shortly after it was reported that his latest movie Billionaire Boys Club – filmed before the multiple sexual misconduct allegations were made against him – grossed just $126 (£98) on its opening night at the US box office.

Spacey, 59, starred in new film Billionaire Boys Club, which was released in American cinemas on Friday (August 17), reports the Guardian. 

The actor has been cut from a number of projects, including House of Cards (Netflix)

The film was shot two years ago and more than 12 months before the allegations came to light, and also stars other big names, including Ansel Elgort, Emma Roberts and Suki Waterhouse.

Spacey plays Ron Levin, a con artist who masterminded a Ponzi scheme in 1980s LA.

It’s Spacey’s last film before the sexual misconduct allegations came to light.

The movie had a low key opening and was screened at only 10 cinemas across the country.

This meant that the average earnings at each cinema was £9.90, which is less than the cost of two tickets, according to The Hollywood Reporter. 

The 2017 film Baby Driver, featuring Spacey in a major role, which was released before the sexual misconduct claims were made, grossed more than £16 million on its opening weekend at the box office.

 

Star Trek: Discovery actor Rapp told BuzzFeed News last year that he had waited two decades to publicly name Spacey as the man who allegedly abused him when he was 14.

He said: “The older I get, and the more I know, I feel very fortunate that something worse didn’t happen.

“And at the same time, the older I get, the more I can’t believe it. I could never imagine [that] anyone else I know would do something like that to a 14-year-old boy.”

SAN DIEGO, CA - JULY 22: Anthony Rapp attends "Star Trek: Discovery" panel during Comic-Con International 2017 at San Diego Convention Center on July 22, 2017 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images)
Actor Anthony Rapp instigated a wave of sexual misconduct allegations against Spacey when he came forward last year (Mike Coppola/Getty)

In response Spacey stated that he had no recollection of the incident that occurred when he was 26, and also used the opportunity to come out as gay in a lengthy tweet.

He wrote: “But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour.

“This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are other stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy.”

He added: “I now choose to live as a gay man.”

Related topics: Billionaire Boys Club, Kevin Spacey, sexual misconduct, US

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...