Call Me By Your Name director reveals details about the sequel and it sounds awesome
The director of Call Me By Your Name has given a few more hints about a potential sequel to the Oscar-nominated gay romance film.
Speaking on the red carpet before the Academy Awards on Sunday evening, director Luca Guadagnino gave eager fans a few more hints about a Call Me By Your Name sequel.
There have been consistent rumours about a follow-up to the Oscar-nominated gay film, which stars Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer.
Guadagnino revealed to USA Today that he was already working with writer André Aciman on a future story for Elio and Oliver.
He said: “I’m already conceiving the story with André Aciman, and it’s gonna happen five or six years afterwards.
“It’s gonna be a new movie, a different tone.”
Guadagnino went on to say that he would have to finalise the script before it was known when and where filming would begin.
However, he was hopeful that the sequel would be more global than the original, hinting at some travelling for the pair.
“They’re gonna go around the world,” Guadagnino said.
Guadagnino had already revealed some of his plans for the sequel, though no concrete plans appear to have been announced.
Speaking with the Hollywood Reporter earlier this year, Guadagnino revealed that the sequel would tackle the AIDS crisis.
The first film was set in 1983 – shortly before the AIDS crisis began – with some critics complaining that it failed to reflect the frank reality of gay life in the 1980s.
Guadagnino has also previously hinted that Call Me By Your Name could be turned into a series of films.
In an interview with The Guardian in January, the director said: “These characters are so fantastic, and I want to know what happens to them.
“Maybe it’s not a question of sequel, it’s a question of chronicling everyone in this film.”
Guadagnino continued: “I think seeing these characters growing in the bodies of these actors will be quite fantastic.”
Call Me By Your Name won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay at this year’s Academy Awards, making writer James Ivory the oldest person to ever recieve an Oscar.
“Whether straight or gay or somewhere in between, we’ve all gone through first love, I hope, mostly intact,” Ivory said as he accepted the award.
“I wouldn’t be standing up here without the inspired help I received from my life’s partners, who are gone,” Ivory said.
More from PinkNews
Call Me By Your Name received three other Oscar nominations, Best Actor, Best Song and Best Picture.
Call Me By Your Name lost out on an Oscar for Best Picture, losing to The Shape of Water.
Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel hit out at Vice President Mike Pence during his opening monologue, using Call Me By Your Name to tease the famously anti-LGBT politician.
Kimmel said: “We don’t make films like Call Me By Your Name for money, we make them to upset Mike Pence.”