Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Current Affairs

Ariana Grande cancels European tour dates after Manchester bombing

Mayer Nissim May 24, 2017
Ariana Grande in concert

Ariana Grande in concert (Paras Griffin/Getty Images for iHeart)

Ariane Grande has cancelled most of her remaining European tour, after Manchester’s terror attack.

The popstar suspended her Dangerous Woman World Tour after a terrorist suicide bombing at the end of her show at the Manchester Arena on Monday night.

22 people died in the bombing and another 59 were seriously injured.

In the wake of the tragedy the singer was flown back to the United States, and her management today confirmed the cancellation of most of her remaining European concerts.

After the attack in Manchester
After the attack in Manchester (Ben Stansall/AFP/Getty Images)

The singer had been due to perform at London’s O2 Arena on Thursday and Friday. She had also been set for gigs in Belgium, Poland, Germany and Switzerland

The O2 Arena confirmed: “The London shows are cancelled. Ticket holders for the London shows should contact their point of purchase for a refund.”

The singer’s tour promoters added: “Due to the tragic events in Manchester the Dangerous Woman tour with Ariana Grande has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost.

“The O2 shows this week have been cancelled as well as all shows through June 5 in Switzerland. We ask at this time that we all continue to support the city of Manchester and all those families affected by this cowardice and senseless act of violence. Our way of life has once again been threatened but we will over come this together.”

After the European shows, Ariana is due to take Dangerous Woman on the road in Central America and South America.

Tickets remain available to purchase for these shows.

Grande is a strong supporter of LGBT rights and has a strong following among the LGBT community worldwide.

Among those confirmed to have died are 29-year-old public relations professional Martyn Hett, whose death has prompted an outpouring of grief on social media and among his friends in the LGBT community.

The decision to cancel the concerts was not made for some time after the attack.

“Thanks to everyone who has been in touch,” read an earlier statement from The O2 about the upcoming concerts.

It continued: “We understand and appreciate you are waiting for information as to whether the shows are going ahead on Thursday and Friday at The O2.

“We’re still in contact with the tour promoters regarding a final decision.”

“As yet the tour is not officially postponed or cancelled, despite media reports.

“We promise that as soon as we have clear information we’ll let everyone know.

“Thank you again for bearing with us in what is a difficult time for all involved.”

Hours after the attack, Ariana posted a single message on Twitter about the bombing.

“Broken,” she said. “From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.”

Tributes to the singer and her fans have poured in from around the world, with messages from fellow popstars like Taylor Swift, local musicians including Liam Gallagher and The Charlatans, and world leaders.

Ariana’s manager Scooter Braun said: “Tonight our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack.

“We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester’s first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives.

“We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers.”

Emergency numbers have been established for anyone who is concerned for loved ones who may not have returned home: 0161 856 9400 or 0161 856 9900.

More: Ariana Grande, attack, bombing, cancel, concert, London, Manchester, postpone, refund, terrorist, The O2, ticket

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon