Ariana Grande Manchester attack: the Queen, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Ellen DeGeneres, world leaders pay tribute
Celebrities, world leaders and friends of Ariana Grande have paid tribute after a terrorist attack at one of her concerts.
22 people are confirmed dead from the explosion, including children, with 59 injured.
The bomb was detonated in the minutes after the popstar walked off stage at a concert in Manchester, UK.
Video from the moments after the attack shows many teenage girls and their parents screaming and in tears trying to flee the venue.
Those in attendance at the concert were evacuated from the arena and train stations nearby had been brought to a standstill.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said: “We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack.”
The mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, said: “My heart goes out to families who have lost loved ones, my admiration to our brave emergency services.
“A terrible night for our great city.”
A spokesman for Ariana Grande confirmed the singer is “okay”, continuing: “We are further investigating what happened”.
The star posted on Twitter that she felt “broken” by the attack.
The 23-year-old American singer posted a tweet to her 45 million followers saying: “From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.”
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
More information: 22 dead in Ariana Grande suicide bombing.
The Queen issued a statement saying: “The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert.
“I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured.
“I want to thank all the members of the emergency services who have responded with such professionalism and care.
“And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.”
Friends and collaborators of Grande took to social media to express their horror.
Her friend Taylor Swift tweeted: “My thoughts, prayers and tears for all those affected by the Manchester tragedy tonight. I’m sending all my love.”
Meanwhile singer Katy Perry, also a friend of Grande, wrote: “Broken hearted for the families tonight. Broken hearted for Ari. Broken hearted for the state of this world.”
Other stars, including Ellen DeGeneres, Ruby Rose, Heather Peace and Lucy Spraggan have also sent their condolences.
Broken hearted for the families tonight. Broken hearted for Ari. Broken hearted for the state of this world. ?
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) May 23, 2017
Sending you so much love. https://t.co/tEtfa90NrS
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) May 23, 2017
Just saw the news about Manchester… Our hearts are breaking ? Prayers for all who attended, their families, Ari and her whole crew.
— Fifth Harmony (@FifthHarmony) May 23, 2017
My heart hurts for my sister, Ariana & every family affected by this tragic event in the U.K. Innocent lives lost. I'm so sorry to hear this
— MEGATRON (@NICKIMINAJ) May 23, 2017
I'm heartbroken over what happened in Manchester tonight.
Sending love to everyone involved. H
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) May 23, 2017
#manchesterattack shocked beyond words. Thoughts and love to everyone who lost someone last night, and anyone still searching.
— Pearl Mackie (@Pearlie_mack) May 23, 2017
Sending love to the U.K., @ArianaGrande and all of her supporters who were caught up in this awful attack. Heartbreaking.
— John Legend (@johnlegend) May 23, 2017
Speechless for Manchester. Monstrous that someone would target a venue full of kids and young adults.
— Juno Dawson (@junodawson) May 23, 2017
A bleak and tragic day for music and for Manchester. Sending love to all the families affected. Love can hopefully overcome
— The Charlatans (@thecharlatans) May 23, 2017
— Victoria Monét (@VictoriaMonet) May 23, 2017
My heart is broken ???
— BIA (@PericoPrincess) May 23, 2017
Just woken up to the news.
My dearest Manchester, you are in my heart.
My thoughts are with everyone caught up in this.
— Heather Peace (@heatherpeace) May 23, 2017
There aren't any words.
Wishing strength and hope to the families and friends that need it right now.
— Lucy Spraggan (@lspraggan) May 23, 2017
Ian Hopkins, chief constable of Greater Manchester police, said it was believed that the man was “carrying an improvised explosive device, which he detonated causing this atrocity”.
Police asked members of the public to avoid the area today as they continue working at the scene. More than 400 officers were involved in the operation overnight.
“We are working closely with the national counterterrorism policing network and UK intelligence partners,” Mr Hopkins said.