Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
ZLegacy

Orlando Pulse massacre survivors and families to sue terrorist’s wife and employer

Josh Jackman March 22, 2017

Survivors and families of victims of the Orlando Pulse massacre are suing the gunman’s wife and employer on the basis that they could have stopped him.

Terrorist Omar Mateen claimed to be part of Islamic State before opening fire on patrons, killing 49 and wounding 53 during the attack in June last year.

The massacre was the worst shooting in modern US history.

More than four dozen survivors and family members have filed the lawsuit today at a federal court in south Florida, according to Associated Press.

The lawsuit claims wrongful death and negligence, amid other counts.

Personal injury attorney Antonio Romanucci will lead the lawsuit with his firm Romanucci & Blandin, which is based in Chicago.

He accused security company G4S, who employed Mateen, of knowing he was suffering from mental illness, yet still allowing him to possess a firearm license and carry a gun in his role as a security guard.

“Mateen gave out so many warnings that someone should have reined this guy in,” Romanucci told AP.

“They should have said: ‘You are not stable. You shouldn’t have a weapon.’”

G4S spokeswoman Monica Lewman-Garcia said she could not comment without seeing the lawsuit.

Romanucci said Mateen’s wife, Noor Salman, knew he was planning the attack, repeating what prosecutors have said about Salman.

Salman is currently in jail, awaiting trial after pleading not guilty to federal charges of aiding and abetting, and obstruction of justice.

“Rather than warn authorities, she kept it a secret and acted as his accomplice,” Romanucci said.

Earlier this month, the US government announced an $8.5 million fund to supply grief counselling for victims, witnesses and first responders to the massacre.

More: court, Crime, Florida, lawsuit, noor salman, omar mateen, Orlando, Orlando Massacre, terrorism, terrorist, US

Read comments (0)

Close icon