Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Join and support LGBT+ journalism

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Current Affairs

Milo Yiannapoulos raised $100,000 in charity for university grants and has not yet paid it out

Meka Beresford January 1, 2017
milo

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 29: Milo Yiannopoulos reacts during a press conference on arrival at the Sydney International Airport on November 29, 2017 in Sydney, Australia. Yiannopoulos is in Australia for his Troll Academy Tour. (Photo by Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images)

Milo Yiannopoulos has allegedly raised $100,000 in charity for white boys, but neglected to pay it out.

The Breitbart editor said he was building a scholarship fund specifically for “poor, young white men” called the Yiannopoulos Privilege Grant.

The right-winger has raised over $100,000 for the cause, but the money appears to have disappeared into private bank accounts and shell companies all registered to the same address in London, reports Mic.

Yiannopoulos claimed the paperwork for the fund is still being processed to ensure the Privilege Grant is nonprofit and recipients will be granted access to the fund at a later date.

It’s not the first time the fund has fallen under scrutiny. In August, the conservative commentator and director of the fund Margaret MacLennan took to twitter to say the money was unaccounted for, and that donors should demand an explanation as to why plans to award scholarships in 2016 were never followed through.

“We’re going to make sure we have monthly updates on our website, and we’re going to start using our long-neglected Twitter account,” Colin Madine, the administrative lead for the Privilege Grant, said in an interview published on Yiannopoulos’ YouTube channel.

100 grants of $2,500 are set to be given out to those in need, and a pilot programme was supposed to start in spring 2017 semester.

However, the pilots have not happened, monthly updates were not given, and no paperwork was filed in August or since.

This sparked MacLennan to begin tweeting accusations once again, and she alleged that Yiannopoulos had registered the grant to a shell company. This company was later dissolved, she added.

Yiannopoulos denied these accusations of wrongdoing to Mic, but failed to provide information about the Grants.

After the enquiry, an update was posted to the Privilege Grant website which said paperwork was still being processed.

“We will open applications for our first grants to students in late January,” Yiannopoulos wrote in the release. “We will close the applications after several weeks, and grants will be awarded in March.”

The far-right gay internet troll recently made the headlines after he was offered a £250,000 book deal by publishing company, Simon & Schuste.

Milo Yiannopoulos has seen his media profile rise thanks to attention-grabbing comments and support of Donald Trump, whom he refers to as “daddy”.

The controversial journalist has previously claimed he would ‘cure’ himself of being gay if he could, and describes trans people as “mentally ill gay men dressing up for attention”.

Yiannopoulos had a tumultuous 2016, getting banned from Twitter earlier this year after allegedly encouraging a wave of racist abuse directed at Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones.

Meanwhile he has capitalised on his cult-like following with a “Dangerous Faggot Tour” at universities and colleges across the US – exploiting a recent appearance at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to single out and bully a transgender student on-stage.

More: Gay, grant, LGBT, Milo Yiannopoulos, money, Privilege Fund, US, US

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon