Montpellier Pride could be cancelled in wake of attack in Nice which killed at least 84
A Pride event in the French town of Montpellier could be cancelled on Saturday in the wake of an attack in Nice which killed at least 84.
At least 84 were dead in the city of Nice in southern France after the attack on Thursday night. A lorry zig-zagged down the Promenade des Anglais after ploughing through barriers during Bastille Day celebrations.
Now the organisers of Montpellier Pride are saying they need to assess the situation, and whether the parade will go ahead on Saturday.
“For now Pride will be held, but we will make a final decision on Friday afternoon”, said Vincent Autin-Boileau, the president of LGBT Pride in Montpellier.
French President Francois Hollande said on Friday that a state of emergency in France would be extended by a further three months.
Prime Minister Manuel Valls also declared a three-day period of mourning across France.
Tens of thousands normally take to Montpellier from early evening throughout the night to a closing ceremony.
Following a mass shooting hate attack at the Orlando Pulse nightclub last month Paris Pride took place with a restricted parade route due to security concerns.