Break in at Orlando Pulse nightclub confirmed by police
Police have confirmed a break in at the Pulse Nightclub, Orlando, which was the site of a mass shooting a month ago.
A gunman took to the club last month with an assault rifle, killing 49 and injuring a further 53.
Some time between late Wednesday night and early Thursday morning the break-in took place, said police.
An employee drove by the club at 3am and noticed that the gates were open.
The next morning owners realised that the plywood blocking an entrance to the club had been removed.
Orlando Police Department confirmed that the wood had been removed in order for someone to gain access.
The owners got back the club on Wednesday for the first time since the mass shooting which took place on 12 June.
49 people were killed and 53 injured in the terrorist hate crime attack,which saw a gunman open fire inside the Pulse gay bar in Orlando, Florida.
ISIS has since claimed responsibility for the attack, which was perpetrated by US citizen Omar Mateen. The majority of the victims were Latino.
More from PinkNews
In a statement, President Obama mourned the victims of the homophobic hate crime attack and called for greater restrictions on arms sales.
In response, Republican nominee Donald Trump said Obama should resign for failing to rally against Islam in his comments.
The attack has been condemned by American Muslim leaders, who addressed ISIS in saying: “You do not speak for us.”
But millions of people around the world have showed solidarity with the victims of the shooting and the community in Orlando,
A threat was posted to Craigslist in San Diego, praising the shooting in Orlando, and reading: “San Diego, you’re next”.
Two US Marines were investigated for posting a photo with an assault rifle with the caption “Coming to a gay bar near you” on Facebook.