Nick Jonas says cancelling North Carolina gig was ‘right thing to do’
The singer says he is glad to have cancelled gigs in the state following the introduction of a controversial new anti-LGBT law.
Pop sensations Nick Jonas has discussed his and Demi Lovato’s decision to cancel two shows in North Carolina that were due to take place as part of their joint tour.
During an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Jonas explained how he and Lovato came to the decision, which he admits was the result of “a lot of conversations” between the two artists.
“It’s an incredibly frustrating situation overall,” he told the host.
More from PinkNews
“We are very aware of our strong LGBT community fan base and the support they’ve given us and the support we want to give them,” he explained.
“And this was a time where I feel like we said we have to make a bold statement, put our foot down and stand firm in something we believe in and it’s unfortunate for the fans there and for us because we want to go play as many shows as possible.
“But in our minds it’s the right thing to do and hopefully our fans will stand united with us.”
The duo were originally scheduled to perform in Charlotte on June 30 and Raleigh on July 2.
The heavily criticised ‘bathroom bill’ – signed into law by Governor Pat McCrory last month – restricts the rights of trans people to use a gender-appropriate bathroom, as well as prohibiting local authorities from passing bills to protect LGBT people.
Other acts – like Mumford & Sons and Cyndi Lauper – have carried on with North Carolina shows, with proceeds from those gigs benefitting organisations in the state actively fighting the bill.
The Obama administration today announced their plans to sue North Carolina over the law, which Attorney General Loretta Lynch deemed “state-sponsored discrimination”.