Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Current Affairs

North Carolina Governor appears reluctant to repeal HB2 despite US Justice Dept deadline

Joseph McCormick May 8, 2016

The Governor of North Carolina appears reluctant to do anything other than defend his state’s widely condemned anti-LGBT law, despite a deadline from the US Justice Department to have it repealed.

North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed HB2 into law last month. It rolled back any local laws protecting LGBT people and banned trans people from using a gender-appropriate bathroom.

The US Justice Department earlier this week gave the state five days to respond to a request to repeal HB2.

Along with the request from the Justice Department came a threat that the state could lose billions of dollars in federal education funding.

With the Monday deadline looming, Governor Pat McCrory appeared as though he would not repeal the law, despite the threat to the federal funding.

Speaking on Fox News Sunday, McCrory said the Department was “trying to define gender identity, and there is no clear identification or definition of gender identify.”

He added that he was not aware of any cases of trans people attempting to enter a bathroom using their gender identity to molest anyone, a justification often given by the law’s supporters.

Going on, the Governor claimed there is no comparison between laws protecting people against discrimination based on race, and those which protect against discrimination based on gender identity.

“We can definitely define the race of people. It’s very hard to define transgender or gender identity,” McCrory added.

The letter came as McCrory this week again defended HB2, taking aim at those who have criticised it including Bruce Springsteen and PayPal.

The Obama Administration also sent a legal threat to North Carolina this week.

Cirque du Soleil last month cancelled gigs in North Carolina over the state’s new anti-LGBT law.

Hundreds of business leaders have urged the repeal of North Carolina’s HB2, and multiple celebrities have pulled out of appearances, including Ringo Starr and, Bruce Springsteen.

Springsteen was even accused of using “bully tactics” for cancelling the concert by one of the state’s Representatives.

But dozens of celebrities and hundreds of fans came to the defence of Springsteen, commending him for taking a stand.

Others such as Mumford and Sons and Cyndi Lauper have said they will appear but that they will donate their profits to LGBT rights organisations.

Mississippi also faces similar threats as Bryan Adams and Sharon Stone have pulled out of appearances there.

More: Justice Department, pat mccrory, US

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon