BBC axes controversial Eggheads star CJ De Mooi ‘via email’
BBC bosses have axed Eggheads star CJ de Mooi.
The broadcasters allegedly terminated his contract on Wednesday via email, according to the Mirror.
The quizmaster confirmed he will be leaving his role to take up an acting career in South Africa.
“I’m leaving Eggheads for my acting future in Cape Town. I’m so grateful for all the show has given me but must try this now,” he wrote on Twitter.
The quizzer has appeared on Eggheads since the show started back in 2003.
The panellist refuted the claims of sexual assault against a 23-year-old.
He now says that the ordeal has ruined his career.
Amid the allegations, De Mooi claimed he was barred from appearing on Eggheads, and that he was also told he could not run with the BBC team for the London Marathon
However, the BBC denied the claims about the marathon team, saying it rotates celebrities to appear each year.
It was reported in January that a BBC personality was being questioned, but until De Mooi revealed that it was him, his identity has been kept secret
More from PinkNews
Last year the panellist also claimed that he was barred from appearing on Strictly Come Dancing after he asked to have a male partner.
In a front page interview with the Daily Mirror, de Mooi said it was “disappointing” that Radio 2 and fellow Eggheads star Jeremy Vine was selected for the show.
The BBC refuted the claim, saying de Mooi’s agent approached Strictly to offer him for the show, but that he had never been under consideration.
A BBC spokesperson told PinkNews that producers had hoped to get Jeremy Vine for the show, and are pleased that he will feature in the upcoming series.
Following his claims regarding Strictly, police launched an investigation – after De Mooi opened up about an incident in which he “fully suspects” he killed a homeless man.