NBA confirms it will keep its 2017 All Star game in North Carolina, for now
The NBA has again clarified its position on North Carolina’s anti-LGBT law, saying it will not move the 2017 All Star game from Charlotte.
The league previously said it was “deeply concerned” by North Carolina’s recently passed HB2, which rolled back pre-existing LGBT rights protections.
The NBA had previously hinted that it might move the game out of Charlotte, but has now said it would prefer to keep a “presence” in the state.
Previously tweeting, the NBA said it was “deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principals of equality and mutual respect and do not know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star game in Charlotte.”
“It would be easy to say we’re moving it,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver clarified on Friday.
“We feel there’s a constructive role for the league to play. If we announce we’re moving it now, what’s the incentive to change the law?”
A fake news story briefly published by some news sources claimed that the NBA had given an ultimatum to North Carolina – to repeal the law or lose the All Star game.
But it was later clarified by the NBA that the quotes attributed to the league were fake.
More from PinkNews
Springsteen was even accused of using “bully tactics” for cancelling the concert by one of the state’s Representatives.
But dozens of celebrities and hundreds of fans came to the defence of Springsteen, commending him for taking a stand.