Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Join and support LGBT+ journalism

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Crime

Caitlyn Jenner fears being sent to male prison over car crash

Joseph McCormick September 10, 2015

Trans former Olympian Caitlyn Jenner has said she fears being sent to a male prison over a car crash earlier this year.

In February, shortly before coming out as transgender, the former Olympian and TV reality star was involved in a three car pile-up on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, which killed one person and injured seven others.

Ms Jenner is facing legal action on a number of fronts over the incident, with the family of deceased woman Kimberly Howe filing one lawsuit, and Hollywood talent manager Jessica Marie Steindorff  filing a second.

Authorities are considering misdemeanour manslaughter charges over the crash, and have said speed could have been a factor in the collision.

Jenner this week spoke of fears that she could be sent to a male prison.

“That is the worst-case scenario … It is an enormous problem that they would put trans women in a men’s county jail,” Jenner told NBC.

She denies speeding, saying she almost managed to stop before the collision, and that she didn’t remember much about the incident.

“All I needed was probably a half a second of time, I almost got stopped but couldn’t quite get it stopped,” she said.

In what was previously her only statement about the crash, Jenner said: “My heartfelt and deepest sympathies go out to the family and loved ones, and to all of those who were involved or injured in this terrible accident.

“It is a devastating tragedy, and I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them.”

She has repeatedly refused to speak further about it.

More: caitlyn jenner, Jenner, Olympian, US

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon