Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Community

Fire in Manchester’s Gay Village leaves building ‘totally gutted’

Nick Duffy July 15, 2015
bookmarking iconBookmark Article

A huge fire has broken out inside Manchester’s Gay Village, near Canal Street.

Fire services were called to Bloom Street in the city centre this morning, around 11:30am, when smoke was spotted pouring from the area.

It was later confirmed that Safad takeaway shop was the source of the fire, and appears to have been badly damaged.

A number of surrounding buildings in the area were evacuated while firefighters tackled the blaze, with Sackville Street cordoned off to traffic.

Fire Station Manager Billy Fenwick said: “On my arrival we had a severe ground floor fire, and a fire also on the first floor. Crews were inside the building.”

The fire has since been “totally extinguished”, according to Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

It was brought under control before it could spread through the area, but the Manchester Evening News reports that the building was “totally gutted by fire”.

According to the newspaper, one man appeared to have suffered burns to his hands, but no further injuries have been reported.

Sir Ian McKellen was recently announced as the Grand Marshall of this year’s Manchester Pride parade.

Manchester’s Gay Village was the scene of controversy last year – when it was closed off for a ticketed Pride event.

A group of protesters attempted to trespass in the area without tickets, arguing that ‘right to roam’ laws give them the legal ability to walk down Canal Street without paying for a ticket to the party.

Related topics: canal street, England, fire, Gay, gay village, LGBT, Manchester, Manchester's Gay Village

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon