Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Join and support LGBT+ journalism

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Community

After homophobes forced a grieving man to move home, he has been targeted again

Joseph McCormick June 8, 2015

Homophobic vandals earlier this year forced a man who was grieving the death of his partner, and he has now been the target of new abuse.

Paul Finlay-Dickson was re-homed earlier this year after he suffered 18 months of homophobic attacks. He lost his civil partner Maurice to cancer in January, and said the attacks made him too scared to stay in the home they shared together.

The attacks, which took place for a year before Maurice’s death, and continued after, included faeces being pushed through the letter box of the couple’s Belfast home.

A rainbow flag which Maurice had requested be draped over his coffin was ripped down and covered with faeces, and Mr Finlay-Dickson has faced death threats.

Now Mr Finlay-Dickson’s new home has also been targeted – at the weekend the windows were smashed and graffiti was plastered across it.

“They make me feel as if I am living in fear,” he told the BBC.

“I am being segregated and attacked because of my sexual orientation.

“I am not the only gay man in Northern Ireland. This is a homophobic hate crime attack. Something needs to be done, I cannot take much more.”

The BBC reports that the Housing Executive has said it would make contact with the victim urgently.

More: attack, Belfast, homophobe, Northern Ireland, paul finlay-dickson

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon