Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Join and support LGBT+ journalism

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

UK

’19 Kids and Counting’ pulled off air amid child abuse allegations

Nick Duffy May 22, 2015

Reality show ’19 Kids and Counting’ has been pulled off the air – amid allegations that anti-gay activist Josh Duggar molested children as a teen.

An unsealed police report this week shed light on claims that Josh Duggar, one of the 19 children of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, molested girls as a teenager.

Though the incidents took place in 2002 to 2003, when Duggar was 14, the police were only made aware in 2006.

Mr Duggar has since apologised for his “inexcusable” behaviour, and stepped down from his role as executive director of listed anti-LGBT hate group Family Research Council.

TV network TLC has previously shrugged off calls to drop the show due to the family’s anti-LGBT activism and links to the listed hate group – but following the abuse allegations it has today pulled it off the air.

While ’19 Kids and Counting’ has not formally been cancelled, the network has completely wiped the show off its upcoming schedules.

TMZ reports that advertiser General Mills has blacklisted the show – which is a substantial blow to its chances of returning.

Republican Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee – who has displayed an endorsement from the Duggars on his website – earlier today released a statement that says child molestation is not “unforgivable”.

He said: “Janet and I want to affirm our support for the Duggar family.

“Josh’s actions when he was an underage teen are as he described them himself, ‘inexcusable’, but that doesn’t mean ‘unforgivable’.

“He and his family dealt with it and were honest and open about it with the victims and the authorities.

More: 19 Kids and Counting, abuse, Anti-gay, childabuse, Duggar, homophobic, Josh Duggar, molestation, rape

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon