Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Entertainment

John Legend cancels apperance at Brunei-owned hotel over anti-gay laws

Nick Duffy February 4, 2015

John Legend has pulled out of a planned appearance at a Brunei-owned hotel, over an ongoing boycott of the country over anti-gay laws.

Brunei enacted a strict new penal code last year which condemns homosexuals to death by stoning – and has since faced a prolonged boycott at its Dorchester Collection hotels.

Singer-songwriter John Legend had been set to appear tomorrow at the LA Confidential party at the Beverly Hills Hotel, in the first high-profile event at the hotel in months.

However, after LA Confidential magazine reportedly refused to move the party, Legend this week cancelled his performance.

His publicist Amanda Silverman told The Hollywood Reporter: “John Legend will not be attending the LA Confidential party at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Thursday, February 5th in light of the horrific anti-women and anti-LGBT policies approved by the hotel’s owner, the Sultan of Brunei.

“These policies, which among other things could permit women and LGBT Bruneians to be stoned to death, are heinous and certainly don’t represent John’s values or the spirit of the event.

“John does not, in any way, wish to further enrich the Sultan while he continues to enforce these brutal laws.”

Alison Miller of LA Confidential said: “Los Angeles Confidential Magazine is an avid supporter of equal rights for all people.

“Our decision to hold our event at the hotel in no way suggests that we support any anti-human rights policies.”

More: Anti-gay, Asia, Beverley Connolly, Beverly Hills Hotel, Brunei, Brunei, Gay, homophobic, hotel, John Legend, Laws, US

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon