Domestic violence charity’s tips for surviving Christmas at home
LGBT domestic violence charity Broken Rainbow has released a guide to staying safe throughout Christmas.
The charity says: “Christmas is a difficult time for lesbian, gay bi and trans* (LGBT) people who are experiencing domestic violence or abuse.
“At this time of year many of us spend more time with partners and our families, that can be exhausting, put a strain on finances and often involves a fair bit of alcohol- all of which can trigger incidents.
“Also at this time of year it is easy to believe you need to ‘try harder’ for the sake of family celebrations and not wanting to spoil the holiday.
“For some returning to the closet is also the only option for the sake of keeping the peace. Some are victims of coercive control with the threat of being ‘outed’ to family, colleagues and friends.”
“We have also compiled 7 key points to remember This Holiday Season in order to look after you and stay safe.”
The tips are:
1. If you are immediate danger call 999
2. Call the Broken Rainbow domestic violence and abuse helpline 0300 999 5428 / 0800 999 5428 to talk confidentiality to another LGBT person who will listen and help you understand your options
3. Email Broken Rainbow if you don’t feel able to talk over the phone. Our email is [email protected]
More from PinkNews
4. Talk to a friend or someone you trust. It helps to share your problems.
5. Remember the violence or abuse is not your fault no matter what excuses you are given
6. Plan for your safety – think about worse case scenario; if you had to leave in a hurry, what would you take with you (money, ID, and other important documents). Pack a bag with a change of clothes. Where would you go to be safe and get help? Remember you can always go to the police for help.
7. Keep your mobile fully charged and handy.
Broken Rainbow’s helpline is available on 0800 999 5428. It is open the following hours:
Monday 22nd December 10am -8pm
Tuesday 23rd December 10am -5pm
Christmas Eve – 10am -5pm
Christmas Day – 10am to 8pm
Boxing Day – 1pm – 5pm