US: The Catholic League refuses to participate in NYC St Patrick’s Day Parade
Thursday, The Catholic League announced it would not participate in the 2015 St Patrick’s Day Parade because parade organisers aren’t allowing an anti-abortion group to march.
According to league president, Bill Donohue, the group is pulling out because parade organisers promised that if a gay group could march under their own banner so could an anti-abortion group.
He said: “Now I am being told that the list of marching units is set and that no pro-life group will march in next year’s parade. Accordingly, I have decided to withdraw our participation.”
Parade organisers announced last week that, for the first time, they would allow an openly-gay group to march in the parade. [email protected], an LGBT resource organisation at NBCUniversal, will be the only LGBT group allowed to participate.
Parade organisers have stated that additional LGBT groups are welcome to apply to march in the 2016 parade.