The gayest things Joan Rivers ever said
We count down Joan Rivers’ best jokes, one-liners and reads.
The controversial figure was known for her outspoken and offensive style, and causing controversy in July when she claimed that President Barack Obama is gay and his wife Michelle is “a transgender”.
However, she was also a dedicated gay rights activist who worked for years to care for those affected by HIV and AIDS, and officiated an impromptu same-sex wedding earlier this year.
We count down her best jokes, one-liners and reads – some might find them cringe-worthily offensive, while others find them rip-roaringly funny, standing as testament to her polarising career.
1. “If you don’t want gays in the military, make the uniforms ugly.”
2. On CNN anchor Anderson Cooper: “I am thrilled that Anderson Cooper finally came out, because this explains why he never tried to date me.
“I saw him as the perfect package… this explains everything.”
3. On Barbra Streisand: “I knew she was talented, but you never know what someone will be. She was a fabulous kisser, that’s what I knew.”
4. “I hate gay weddings. I’m thrilled about the equal rights thing, but gay weddings are like the War on Terror — they go on forever.
“Gay weddings are a lifetime commitment — for the guests. They start at seven and end in October. Why? Because stereotypes be damned, gays love parades.”
5. “Madonna has just lost 30 pounds — she shaved her legs.”
6. “I was dating a transvestite, and my mother said, ‘marry him, you’ll double your wardrobe’.”
7. “I saw my first porno film recently. It was a Jewish porno film — one minute of sex and nine minutes of guilt.”
8. “I blame myself for David Gest. It was me who told Liza Minnelli to find herself a man who wouldn’t sleep with other women.”
9. On kissing a woman: “It was in the moment. I like her very much. It’s like the Katy Perry song, ‘I Kissed a Girl’.
“I don’t know if I liked it or I didn’t like it. I woke up this morning with an incredible urge to play golf.”
10. “The gay Olympic Games ended last weekend and I totally missed them! Can someone tell me who took home the gold in Floral Arrangements?”