Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Arts

US: Sex abuse lawsuit against X-Men director Bryan Singer dropped

Nick Duffy August 29, 2014

A sex abuse lawsuit against X-Men director Bryan Singer has been dropped.

Michael Egan III had claimed in April that the out filmmaker forced him into sexual activities at parties in California and Hawaii aged 17.

Mr Singer had strongly denied all charges, and claimed the lawsuit was a “sick twisted shake-down” designed to hurt the release of X-Men: Days of Future Past, released in May.

However, Egan has this week withdrawn the case, after his relationship with his legal representation deteriorated.

District judge Susan Oki Mollway granted Egan’s motion for voluntary dismissal, but denied Mr Singer’s request that the case be dismissed with prejudice – which would prevent Egan from filing another case against him.

The judge said: “Any alleged damage to defendant’s reputation may well be ameliorated by plaintiff’s voluntary dismissal of the action.”

A lawsuit against the director from a second man, filed by the same legal firm, dropped all charges against Singer last month.

Attorney Marty Singer said in a short statement: “We are pleased the case was dismissed.”

Mr Singer, 48, one of the most successful gay directors in Hollywood, has directed three instalments in the lucrative X-Men franchise, beginning with the first X-Men film in 2000.

His other credits include The Usual Suspects, Superman Returns and last year’s Jack the Giant Slayer.

More: abuse, Bryan Singer, director, Gay, Hawaii, lawsuit, Michael Egan, openly, out, Sex, US, X-Men

Read comments (0)

Close icon