Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Arts

Eurovision 2015 confirmed for Vienna after Conchita Wurst win

Nick Duffy August 6, 2014

Next year’s Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Vienna, it has been confirmed.

It has been announced today that the contest will head to the Austrian capital of Vienna, following the victory of drag artist Conchita Wurst this year.

A spokesperson for national broadcaster ORF said: “Vienna is the city of music and arts in the heart of Europe. Together we will do everything to assure a successful 60th Eurovision Song Contest.”

Jon Ola Sand, the head of the contest, said: “We are very pleased with ORF’s decision to choose Vienna as the host city of the next Eurovision Song Contest.

“We are confident the city has the experience, people and the facilities to host the world’s foremost entertainment event. With the cooperation between Vienna, ORF and the EBU, I’m sure we’ll see three amazing shows in May.”

Only a few countries have so far confirmed participation in the contest, with Russia reportedly working to host an anti-gay alternative, modelled on the Soviet era Intervision.

Turkey previously ceased broadcasting the contest last year after Finland’s entry contained a same-sex kiss, and has also created its own more conservative contest, Türkvizyon.

In June, Austria’s first openly gay MEP has been attacked with acid during Vienna’s pride parade.

Ulrike Lunacek, who is the head of the Austrian Greens in the European Parliament, was sprayed with acid while giving an interview at the Rainbow Parade.

No charges were brought against the man, as miraculously no-one was harmed in the attack.

Earlier today, Israeli singer Dana International – the first trans person to win Eurovision – said that Europeans should “shut their mouths” about the Gaza conflict.

Read comments (0)

Close icon