Menu

InstagramTwitterYouTubeFacebookSnapchat
Globe Icon
Join and support LGBT+ journalism

Join

and support
LGBT+ journalism

Community

Tom Daley: I’m not retiring from diving, I’ll be at Rio

PinkNews Staff Writer July 24, 2014

Tom Daley has denied claims that he will retire from diving after the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

The 20-year-old diver, who won bronze at London 2012, dismissed reports that he would turn his back on the sport because of a fear of failing at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

A source previously said: “Sadly Tom has decided he’ll retire after the Commonwealth Games to avoid Rio.

“He’s pretty much got no chance of medalling at the Olympics. If he can retain gold at the Commonwealth Games then he’ll bow out on a high.

“His struggle with his back twist has been well documented and he knows the time will be right. He’s had a great career in diving and has so many other opportunities.”

Yesterday, Daley tweeted his intention to compete at Rio 2016.

Daley revealed in April that he has been having therapy to cope with what he described as a “phobia” over his twist dive from the ten-metre platform.

He missed out on a medal at the World Championships in Barcelona in July last year.

It is the same challenging move that the Briton had to repeat during the Olympics after an ill-timed camera flash and he has struggled to land it in competition since.

A spokesperson for the diver said: “Tom is working hard in training and his goal remains to compete in his third Olympic Games, at Rio 2016.”

Daley will compete in the ten-metre platform in Glasgow at the Commonwealth Games.

Earlier this week, Daley and his partner, Dustin Lance Black, hit the headlines after a plane they were travelling on had to make an emergency landing in Russia.

The pair described the ordeal as “scary”.

More: Commonwealth Games, diver, gay diver, olympics, Rio 2016, tom daley

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!

Dismiss

Loading ...

Close icon