Wales: Man taken to hospital after chemical leak at gay sauna
A man has received hospital treatment after inhaling chemical fumes at a popular gay sauna in Newport.
The incident occurred on Sunday evening at the Greenhouse Health Club, it is thought that an explosion in the pump room of the club resulted in the dangerous chemical bromine being released. Small amounts of the chemical are used to sterilise the pools and hot tubs at the venue.
Club manager, Wally Moore was taken to hospital where he received treatment after being knocked back by the fumes. Eight other clients were at the male-only venue at the time of the incident but there were no other reported injuries.
25 officers from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service responded to the call and it took over 4 hours for the area to be made safe. Officers had to wear protective chemical suits when dealing with the leak and the health club was evacuated.