Brighton Pride boss speaks of ‘disappointment’ at Alexandra Burke snub
Pride Brighton and Hove director Trevor Edwards has told the Argus newspaper that Alexandra Burke’s decision to pull out of last weekend’s event was “disappointing”.
On Saturday evening the Elephant singer tweeted from her official account: “Hey Guys, due to circumstances out of my control I’m unable to perform at Brighton Pride today, so sorry guys”.
In an interview with the Argus, Mr Edwards said: “There is nothing more to say on the Alexandra Burke situation; it is disappointing that she didn’t perform but pride is and always will be about [the] community rather than one person”.
Mr Edwards spoke of his delight at the presence of Brighton-based DJ Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), who told PinkNews.co.uk, that performing at last weekend’s event was a personal triumph, because he had wanted to do it for more than a decade.
Mr Edwards said: “One of my favourite moments of the day was seeing Norman Cook strolling around Preston Park just chatting with the crowd and having his photo taken with anyone that asked; right before getting on stage to play one of the most memorable sets Pride Brighton and Hove has ever seen”.
Mr Edwards revealed that more than £15,000 had already been donated to LGBT charitable causes in the city by the current team, and says preparations for next year’s event are already taking place.
The proposed date for it is Saturday 3 August 2013.