London’s World Pride under threat after payment disputes
Pride London’s World Pride celebrations are reportedly under threat following a dispute between the organisers and contractors according to the London Evening Standard.
Sources close to the organisers told the newspaper that there is 24 hours left to save significant parts of the event after four contractors were reportedly not paid in full for the work that was carried out last year.
The paper claims that there have been crisis talks held between Pride London, Westminster council and City Hall about the event which is due to take place on Saturday 7th July.
According to the newspaper, the four contractors owed more than £65,000 are understood to be AP Security, Eve Trackway, Westminster Licensing and AD Health & Safety. Organisers denied the figure.
Patrick Williams, chairman of Pride London, told the newspaper that he believed that the parade and a concert at Trafalgar Square would go ahead but the paper said that if the security contractor pulled out, the event will have to be cut back or cancelled. Mr Williams told the Standard that funds were being paid “gradually as we get funds in. In relation to AP Security we have paid what we need to pay for this year. What was in dispute … is something for last year…Come hell or high water we must make this happen. I’d fight tooth and nail for nothing to be cancelled.”
A source at Pride London told the newspaper that a march could still take place but that the Trafalgar Square and Soho events may have to be cancelled telling the paper: “Pride could still happen, but it won’t be Pride as we know it. Money is owed.
“If the dispute is not resolved in the next 24 hours the event may have to be massively scaled back. All the floats that are such a key part of the Pride parade may not be allowed to go through central London.”
If the planned events in Soho and Trafalgar Square were cancelled, it is likely that other sponsors may have to have their sponsorship money returned.