Boy George denied US entry visa
United States Customs isn’t keen on giving singer Boy George Time – according to reports on Monday, the former Culture Club lead singer has been denied a visa that would allow him entry into the country for his planned 2008 summer concert tour and free show for the New York Sanitation Department.
George’s managers said in a statement today that the visa denial was not because of his past brush with the law in the U.S. back in 2006 for cocaine possession but was because he is awaiting trial in London, reports the International Herald Tribune.
The singer has pleaded not guilty to imprisoning a man at his London home.
For his part, Boy George is said to be saddened by the decision.
“I’m pretty devastated because I am so excited about this forthcoming tour and having my visa application denied seems unfair after I swept the streets of New York spotless,” George told Paper magazine.
“There are a number of public figures who are openly using drugs and they have no problem with immigration and I have seriously turned my life around and I feel great right now and this is just another reminder of how bad things were.
“I committed a crime and I happily paid the consequences and I should be allowed to move on and get on with what I do best and that is performing and making people dance and cry!”
Boy George is only the latest in string of celebs faced with visa troubles.
More from PinkNews
Last week the UK denied a visa request made by American business tycoon, Martha Stewart.
And late last year the U.S. also denied a visa request to troubled singer Amy Winehouse just prior to her scheduled performance at the Grammy Awards.
Could all this mean British-American relations are at an all time low?
George Michael’s mega summer concert tour is moving forward full steam ahead, so clearly at least one British star with a record can still get a visa.
© 2008 GayWired.com; All Rights Reserved.