Gay Scots footballers collect silverware

PinkNews Staff Writer April 14, 2008
bookmarking iconBookmark Article

The second and final leg of the inaugural Fitlads Cup, played yesterday in Edinburgh, went to a nail-biting penalties finish after a 3-3 aggregate draw between HotScots FC and London Falcons FC.

The first LGBT football team north of the border took victory.

HotScots FC was founded last year with the aim of organising socials and regular kickabouts and to provide a social outlet for LGBT people who wish to watch and participate in football with other like-minded people.

Chairman Kevin Rowe said of yesterday’s victory:

“We were just magnificent, I’m so proud of the lads who worked so hard to grind out a result in the away leg and then produced an amazing performance against the English gay league leaders.

“In just 15 months we have picked up our first silverware. This is a perfect result for us in preparation for the World Cup in London in August.”

The club now boasts more than 75 members and hold kickabouts every Thursday and Sunday.

HotScots FC will represent Scotland later this year at the International Gay and Lesbian Football Association World Championship in London between 24th and 30th August 2008.

Teams from all over the world will take part in the event, to be held in Regents Park, with the finals to be played at Leyton Orient’s Matchroom Stadium.

London team Leftfooters FC are hosting the tournament.


Final Score: Hotscots FC 2-1 London Falcons (3-3 aggregate 4-2 on penalties).

In the second and final leg of the inaugural Fitlads Cup, the Hotscots overcame a determined Falcons team to run out eventual winners on penalties after finishing 2-1 up after 90 minutes.

The game was played at Peffermill Playing fields with a good show of support for the home team and a full squad.

The Falcons were travelling with a depleted side but still fielded some of their strongest players.

The match itself was played at a good pace and first blood was drawn by the Falcons when Conor Simpson, the holding midfielder found himself on the edge of the eighteen yard box with a bit of room and let rip with his left foot and found the back of the net. An excellent start and just what the home team needed.

Hotscots FC 1-0 Falcons 3 mins

The Falcons responded well and after a spirited attacking move Tony “Chav” finished well having sprung the offside trap.

Hotscots FC 1-1 Falcons 10 mins

Craig Anderson, the big striker for the Hotscots had a couple of chances in the box and was unlucky not to finish with the Falcons keeper making some good saves.

JP Clarke, who was finding plenty of space on the right wing, was whipping some dangerous crosses into the danger areas.

With some spirited tackling in the centre of the park, the Referee did well to keep things in check but in such an important game it was good to see that there was genuine desire from each team to lift the Silverware.

After half an hour or so, the Hotscots left back, Nik Dickson made a brilliant run into the box, beating a couple of players in the process and rifled the ball low into the bottom right corner.

Hotscots FC 2-1 Falcons 33 mins

The second half was much more open with few chances as the players on both sides began to tire.

Probably the best chance of the half came to the Hotscots when Stuart took a free kick from just outside the box and floated it beautifully over to Alan Rogers, the Hotscots winger who volleyed it just wide but a fine effort all the same.

Richard Cowell and Ian Kehoe, the Falcons Captain who both played magnificently both had some good chances in the second half but with no substitutes to call upon were suffering from cramp towards the end.

The only booking of the game was handed out to the Hotscots captain after a series of tough tackles, but generally speaking the game was played in good spirit.

With the full 90 minutes up the game was tied at 3-3 on aggregate and so the games was to be decided by penalties, with Luke from the Falcons slotting home confidently the first penalty.

All remaining takers scored and then Simon Patton, man of the match, cruelly had his effort saved by our stand in goalie, JP who did very well. This unsettled Ian Kehoe who then ballooned his effort over the bar and that was it, victory for the Hotscots!

JP Clarke, Manager for Hotscots said:

“We wanted to win the midfield battle which was crucial in order to get the right result today. All of the players gave 110 per cent and I’d like to thank all of the squad for showing up and giving us fantastic support from the sidelines. They were our twelfth man!”

Both teams were kindly hosted by the Bluemoon Café for the presentation of the Cup and the medals after the match.

Click to comment

Swipe sideways to view more posts!


Loading ...