Electrifying performance kills drag artist
Joan Montegracia was the third on stage at a competition for drag artists in the Philippine city of Caloocan.
She was about to wow the audience with her impersonation of actress Aubrey Miles. As she moved to the centre of the outdoor metal stage and took the microphone, she dropped suddenly to the ground.
The audience looked on in anticipation, thinking the dramatic fall to be part of the act. A loud round of applause failed to rouse Joan to her feet.
A deathly silence enveloped the crowd of several hundred as paramedics took to the stage to investigate. But they could do nothing – Joan was dead.
Police are still investigating what happened, but reports in the Manila Standard Today indicate the most likely cause of death was electrocution.
Police also revealed that Montegracia was not a resident of the Philippines and they are still trying to establish his identity.
It is thought that Montegracia’s hands were wet, probably from sweat, and that the microphone was not wired correctly.
The metal stage meant that the charge of electricity released when he touched the microphone killed him instantly.