27 February 2013Chuck Hagel confirmed as US Defence Secretary despite past anti-gay remarks 2 Having faced criticism over his previous homophobic views, the US Senate has confirmed Chuck Hagel as the new US Defence Secretary.
27 February 201360 US companies call on Supreme Court to strike down same-sex marriage bans 4 Some of America’s largest companies including Apple, Facebook, eBay, Intel, and Morgan Stanley are set to call on the US Supreme Court to strike down laws banning same-sex marriages.
26 February 2013US: 75 leading Republicans call on Supreme Court to strike down same-sex marriage Prop 8 ban 9 Around 75 leading Republican figures have signed a briefing urging the Supreme Court to strike down Proposition 8, in a move which could have a significant effect on the Republican Party and equal marriage in the US.
26 February 2013First clause of equal marriage bill passes Committee stage in UK Parliament 35 The first clause of the equal marriage bill has passed in the committee considering it in the UK Parliament today.
26 February 2013Bermuda says no to same-sex marriages 8 A top Bermuda minister has said the government has ruled out allowing same-sex marriage.
26 February 2013US: Pro-marriage equality GOP lawmaker dismisses $500,000 threat from anti-gay group 11 A Republican state Senator from Minnesota who said he would vote for equal marriage and was the target of a new pledge by anti-equality group the National Organization for Marriage to defeat him, has said he will not bow to the financial pressure.
26 February 2013Comment: The priorities of the LGBT community lie away from marriage 42 Writing for PinkNews.co.uk, LGBT activist and SNP member Nathan Sparling says the UK Government has been putting too much of its focus on equal marriage – when the issue of health inequality has a far greater impact on the LGBT community.
25 February 2013Louisiana Governor: The Republican Party doesn’t need to support same-sex marriage in order to win back power 42 The Republican Governor of Louisiana Bobby Jindal says his party does not have to drop its opposition to equal marriage in order to win elections.
25 February 2013Poll: More New Zealanders support equal marriage than oppose it 3 A new poll commissioned by a New Zealand group opposed to equal marriage has found that more people support the idea than oppose it.
25 February 2013Gay rights campaigners react to Cardinal O’Brien’s resignation 68 Gay rights groups have reacted to the resignation of Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Britain’s most senior Roman Catholic, who has been accused of inappropriate behaviour with male priests.
25 February 2013Anti-gay Cardinal Keith O’Brien quits post following allegations of inappropriate behaviour 122 Britain’s most senior anti-gay Catholic leader, who at the weekend was reported to the Vatican over historical allegations of inappropriate behaviour involving several male priests - has resigned from his post.
24 February 2013Tory local chairwoman from PM’s constituency resigns over his support for equal marriage 41 The chairwoman of a local Conservative Party association which falls inside David Cameron's constituency, has resigned from her post, citing his support for equal marriage as her reason.
24 February 2013US: New Jersey Democrats seek to override Governor’s veto of equal marriage bill 4 Democrats in the New Jersey legislature have said they will attempt to override Governor Chris Christie's equal marriage veto from last year, and have now agreed to put the question of marriage equality to voters in November, if they cannot override it.
23 February 2013Elton John and David Furnish plan to marry in Los Angeles and London 36 Elton John and David Furnish may be planning several weddings, for when equal marriage is legal in the UK, and in Los Angeles, when it becomes legal there.
23 February 2013US: Gay soldier booed at GOP presidential debate joins Ohio equal marriage effort 5 An openly gay US soldier who was booed during a Republican presidential debate in 2011 for asking if potential candidates would undo moves towards gay equality, has joined efforts to lift the state of Ohio's ban on equal marriage.
22 February 2013Cardinal Keith O’Brien: Gay people should not be allowed to marry but straight Catholic priests can 94 Britain's most senior Catholic, who is staunchly opposed to allowing gay couples to marry, has adopted a new position concerning male priests and hetrosexual marriage.
22 February 2013Lithuanian President: Talks about civil unions for same-sex couples are too ‘premature’ 10 The Lituania President has said that she thought that discussions on civil partnerships for gay couples were "premature".
22 February 2013Australia: Gender-discrimination challenge to equal marriage ban thrown out by judge 7 An Australian judge this week threw out a challenge to the national ban on equal marriage, on the grounds that the law banning same-sex marriage does not discriminate against people based on gender.
22 February 2013Associated Press style guide allows ‘husband’ or ‘wife’ to be used for gay married couples 4 The Associated Press has updated its guidelines on reporting on same-sex married couples, saying that the words "husband" or "wife" were acceptable, despite sending a memo earlier in February saying "generally" those terms should not be used.
22 February 2013Former Utah Governor: ‘There is nothing conservative about denying equal marriage to gay people’ 7 A former Republican Governor of Utah has come out in support of equal marriage, urging other Republicans to do the same.
Articles about Same Sex Marriage
- UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported+
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship1
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’12
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder14
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’9
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote14
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 60
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'42
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur60
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage