11 June 2012Liam Fox MP undecided on ‘elite’ issue of marriage for gay couples 69 The former Defence Secretary Liam Fox, who resigned last year over the questioned raised about his relationship with lobbyist Adam Werrity, has described equal marriage rights as an issue prioritised by the 'metropolitan elite'.
29 May 2012European Parliament condemns consideration of anti-gay laws 32 The European Parliament adopted a resolution condemning anti-gay laws in Europe last week, specifically calling on Russia, Moldova, Latvia, Lithuania as well as Ukraine to address existing and draft legislation and 'demonstrate, and ensure respect for, the principle of non-discrimination'.
17 May 2012Angela Eagle MP: Gay couples will be in limbo until equal marriage laws are announced 30 Angela Eagle, the first female MP to enter a civil partnership, has called on the government to introduce marriage equality legislation and take gay couples out of 'limbo'.
16 May 2012Video: EU politicians say ‘It Gets Better’ in 17 languages 29 For the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia 2012, over 50 European politicians and leaders from EU institutions have joined forces to tell LGBT teenagers they are working to make things better.
14 May 2012MPs declaring early support for equal marriage outnumber opponents three to one 6 Of the members of Parliament to have made early public statements on marriage equality, those who are likely in principle to vote for the government's proposals to allow gay couples to marry outnumber opponents three to one.
14 May 2012Stephen Twigg, first openly gay man to be elected as an MP comes @Out4Marriage 4 Stephen Twigg, the first openly gay man to be elected to the UK's House of Commons, has declared his support for marriage equality in the Out4Marriage campaign.
1 May 2012Law to wipe gay sex convictions given royal assent 60 The Protection of Freedoms Act, which will enable men to wipe the records of thousands of convictions for consensual gay sex under now-repealed laws, has received Royal Assent today.
4 April 2012More MPs distance themselves from ‘gay cure’ event sponsor’s internship scheme 27 Two MPs have announced they will no longer take interns from the religious charity CARE's Leadership Programme as a petition denouncing the charity for sponsoring a 'gay cure' event has amassed 9,000 signatures.
4 April 2012Comment: Forget the ‘nests of snakes’, equal marriage could iron out our current quirks 47 Far from being a "nest of snakes", family law executive Lisa Burton-Durham says equal marriage legislation could let us address outdated legal concepts.
23 March 2012Catholic Archbishop ‘invites 80 MPs’ for equal marriage talks 76 More than eighty MPs have reportedly been invited to meet the Catholic Archbishop of Southwark to discuss the equal gay marriage proposals being publicly consulted on by the government.
22 March 2012Malaysian MP calls for ‘gay rehab’ 34 A Malaysian MP who described 'scary' levels of homosexuality in his country has called for the government to open a gay 'rehabilitation' centre.
21 March 2012Liberal Democrat president: Any discrimination in CARE internships unacceptable 44 The president of the Liberal Democrats has said any discrimination on the grounds of sexuality in the religious Westminster internship scheme operated by the charity CARE (Christian Action Research & Education) which he defended this week would be 'unacceptable'.
16 March 2012Second MP pulls out of CARE internship scheme over charity’s ‘extreme views’ 26 A second MP has pulled out of the Westminster internship scheme funded by the charity CARE as an online petition calling on others to pull out has reached 8,000 signatures.
1 March 2012MP brands equal marriage rights for gays ‘completely nuts’ 73 The MP for Wellingborough in Northamptonshire has suggested the Church of England reply to the government's consultation on equal marriage on the basis that it is 'completely nuts'.
22 February 2012David Burrowes ‘faced death threat’ over equal marriage opposition 98 Conservative David Burrowes is among a number of MPs backing the new Coalition for Marriage petition to opposite marriage equality for gay couples, but says he has received a death threat as a result of his views.
13 February 2012Two equal marriage bills enter Australian parliament 7 Two private members' bills have been introduced at the parliament of Australia today which would give equal marriage rights to gay couples if they can muster more support.
16 December 2011Labour MEPs pledge support for Equal Love campaign in Europe 44 All Labour's representatives at the European Parliament have signed their support for the Equal Love campaign, which aims to allow equal access for gay and straight couples to civil partnerships and marriage.
15 December 2011Students lobby MSPs as accuracy of marriage opponents’ petition is questioned 11 Students from around Scotland have delivered letters to their MSPs today in support of extending marriage rights, while others are questioning how their signatures appeared on the opponents' petition.
7 December 2011Elio Di Rupo, Europe’s second openly gay government leader sworn in 27 Elio Di Rupo has been named the new, openly gay, Prime Minister of Belgium, after the country went a year and a half without a government.
30 November 2011Scottish Roman Catholic leader to speak for new gay marriage opposition group 101 The leader of the Catholic church in Scotland is speaking today at the Edinburgh launch of a new coalition which opposes the introduction of equal marriage rights.
Articles about Parliament
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill6
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law1
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill6
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion14
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage2
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam7
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill1
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments+
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’+
- Maltese Prime Minister: A civil unions bill is to be introduced by the end of this year2
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson18
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on 'gay cure' therapy 25
- Tory MP John Glen criticises Bishop of Salisbury for voicing support for equal marriage31
- Michelle Shocked to return to San Francisco during Pride Week, to clarify her feelings following anti-gay rant17
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican19
- Poland: Prime Minister backs down and admits opposition to civil unions is too strong26
- Gay 'cure' therapy NHS ban motion gains cross-party support4
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion14
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans re-arrested on new indecent assault allegations—
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage86
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television85
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual84
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?84
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage67
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'64
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage