14 March 2013New Zealand: Equal marriage passes critical second vote 15 Lawmakers in New Zealand voted 77 to 44 yesterday to pass same-sex marriage legislation.
4 March 2013New Zealand: Coroner in gay soldier’s suicide case criticised for anti-marriage equality stance 10 Doubts have been raised about the decision by coroner Gordon Mantega not to hold an inquest into the death of a soldier who killed himself after confessing his love for a male colleague, after it emerged Mr Mantega strongly opposed same-sex marriage in New Zealand.
30 January 2013Young gay New Zealanders say equal marriage would reduce youth suicides 1 Young gay men have made submissions to the New Zealand select committee dealing with the equal marriage bill, to say that legalising equal marriage would reduce the number of youth suicides.
22 January 2013New Zealand: Select committee hears of benefits to legalising equal marriage 3 The select committee considering the New Zealand equal marriage bill has heard from two charities which gave the benefits of legalising equal marriage for the physical and mental health of the population, in their submissions.
17 January 2013New Zealand pastor accused of trying to rig equal marriage poll 18 The head of an evangelical church in Auckland has been discovered attempting to rig a cabinet minister's poll on a pending equal marriage bill.
9 January 2013New Zealand dismisses complaints against Pope equal marriage blessing advert 8 The Advertising Standards Authority in New Zealand has dismissed complaints about a new advert which depicts Pope Benedict XVI blessing a gay couple's wedding, saying it is unlikely to cause widespread offence.
7 January 2013New Zealand TV presenter: I haven’t urged for a gay rugby player to come out 1 A gay sports presenter in New Zealand has denied calling for a gay All Blacks rugby player to openly declare his sexuality.
17 December 2012New Zealand: Church billboard calls on Jesus to come out for Christmas 13 A controversial church billboard in New Zealand has been unveiled, which raises the question of whether or not Jesus might have been gay.
1 December 2012Video: Sir Ian McKellen says ‘I want to get married in Middle Earth’ for same-sex marriage campaign 14 X-Men and Lord of the Rings star Sir Ian McKellen has recorded a video for a New Zealand equal marriage campaign.
24 November 2012New Zealand former MP: Labour Party is ‘controlled by homosexuals’ 31 Disgraced former MP, Taito Phillip Field, has attacked leaders of New Zealand's Labour Party, saying it has become too liberal, specifically criticising its support of equal marriage for same-sex couples.
22 November 2012New Zealand: Churches won’t be forced to perform same-sex weddings 7 The New Zealand Human Rights Commission has confirmed that, if equal marriage becomes legal, carrying out same-sex wedding ceremonies won't be mandatory for churches.
22 November 2012New Zealand: Committee told that equal marriage is an ‘abomination’, and could lead to incest 25 The select committee reviewing the equal marriage bill in New Zealand, has heard submissions from two pastors, one who called equal marriage a sin, and an "abomination," and another who said that incest is "the way it could go" if equal marriage became legal.
18 November 2012New Zealand: Employment Authority to decide on ‘dirty homosexual’ slur 6 A New Zealand caregiver who quit his job after being called a "dirty homosexual" by a colleague, has accused his former employer of failing to adequately support and protect him.
14 November 2012New Zealand politician criticised for comparing same-sex marriage to apartheid 21 A New Zealand politician says allowing gay couples to marry is like apartheid South Africa calling the Maori rugby team "honorary whites".
6 November 2012Channel 4 backpedals after censoring ‘gay’ from Simpsons’ episode 10 Channel 4 says it was wrong to edit out the word "gay" from an episode of The Simpsons, which was shown by the UK broadcaster last weekend.
6 November 2012Ian McKellen criticises New Zealand PM over ‘gay’ jumper jibe 6 Veteran actor Sir Ian McKellen has criticised New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, accusing him of using the word "gay" in a "careless" way.
5 November 2012New Zealand PM defends ‘gay’ jumper remarks 19 New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has been criticised for mocking a radio host's red jacket, suggesting he's a weak golfer because the jacket's colour is "gay".
8 October 2012New Zealand: Presbyterian Church to defy its governing body and perform same-sex marriages 12 A church in Wellington, New Zealand, has vowed to go against its governing body if equal marriage becomes legal, and perform same-sex weddings.
31 August 2012New Zealand: Churches vow not to officiate same-sex weddings 59 A majority of New Zealand churches have said that they will not officiate same-sex marriages, following news that an equal marriage bill has jumped the first hurdle towards becoming law.
31 August 2012Same-sex adoption bill drawn from ballot in New Zealand 3 New Zealand's 50-year-old adoption laws are to be debated by parliament in order to potentially bring about changes that would allow same-sex couples to adopt.
Articles about New Zealand
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’10
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder9
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’6
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote13
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’38
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'38
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage