16 May 2013US: ACLU pushes ‘Modern Family’ TV show creators to allow gay characters to get married 5 The American Civil Liberties Union has begun pushing the producers of US television show Modern Family, to write an episode in which the gay couple featured on it, get married.
13 May 2013NBC’s gay sitcom The New Normal cancelled after just one season 20 US television network NBC has announced that its new sitcom The New Normal, which features a gay couple and the surrogate mother of their child, has been cancelled after just one season, amidst falling ratings.
26 April 2013US: Philadelphia City Council passes landmark bill for LGBT benefits 2 The City Council in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has approved a bill which has been hailed as landmark legislation for strengthening LGBT rights in the city.
17 April 2013US: Major League Soccer player suspended for using homophobic slur + A Major League Soccer (MLS) player in the US who previously apologised for using a homophobic slur against another player during a recent match, has been suspended for three games, and fined an undisclosed amount.
12 April 2013Study: Support for equal marriage boosted by television portrayal of gay couples 41 A poll has found that in the US, more people say their perception of gay people has been positively influenced by television's portrayal of them, than say it has had a negative impact.
12 February 2013Indiana: Homophobic students and parents seek to ban gay classmates from attending prom 24 A school in the US state of Indiana is in the spotlight after some students and parents urged for gay people to be banned from attending a prom.
31 December 2012President Obama gives Chuck Hagel his backing — despite gay rights row 12 Despite facing renewed criticism for his previous anti-gay remarks, Chuck Hagel, who is tipped to become the next US defence secretary, has President Obama’s support.
18 September 2012Update: Baseball player apologises for homophobic slur, is suspended without pay 20 Canadian baseball player, Yunel Escobar, has apologised for causing offence through having what was perceived as a homophobic slur, written on his face during a game.
14 September 2012US: Advert for anti LGBT church, shown during new gay TV show 17 An advert for a new series of sermons at a church which opposes the rights of LGBT people, aired during a break in between a new NBC series about a gay couple with a child.
13 September 2012Brendon Ayanbadejo: 70 percent of NFL players support equal marriage 6 NFT football player, Brendon Ayanbadejo, was the focus of a recent controversy, when his club was asked to silence his advocacy of equal marriage rights, and he has now spoken out again saying that a large percentage of NFL players feel the same as he does.
12 September 2012US: Coach allegedly kicked player off college team for kissing his boyfriend 35 A college football player in the US has spoken out after he was allegedly kicked off his team for kissing his boyfriend at a match he attended.
7 September 2012Connecticut: Priest reprimanded for participating in his cousin’s same-sex wedding 20 The Archbishop of Hartford, Connecticut, has rebuked a priest for participating in his cousin's same-sex wedding in New York City, despite him only doing a reading and that he didn't wear his vestments.
1 September 2012Previously banned gay family show will air in Utah after all 6 An NBC show which features a gay couple, their surrogate and her family, which was removed from the schedule of a Utah TV network for being "inappropriate" has been picked up by another station in the state.
30 August 2012GLAAD index names best and worst in LGBT friendly broadcasting 3 The sixth annual Network Responsibility Index has been published by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, and includes details of networks and shows which have accurately reflected, or not, the LGBT community through their broadcasting.
25 August 2012TV station: Gay family show banned for being “inappropriate during family time” 26 A television station based in the US has come under heavy criticism for their decision not to air a new NBC sitcom about a gay couple, their surrogate and her family.
20 March 2011Ricky Martin and Anderson Cooper take home GLAAD awards 25 Last night, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) honoured Ricky Martin, Anderson Cooper and NBC's 30 Rock among many others with awards for their contribution to the LGBT community.
11 January 2011Johnny Weir: ‘I don’t celebrate being white so why should I celebrate being gay?’ 67 Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir says he was surprised by the press reaction to his coming out as gay.
15 December 2009Gay porn star dies in taser arrest 34 A gay porn star has died in Florida after choking while being arrested.
Articles about NBC
- UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported+
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship2
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’14
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder14
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’9
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote14
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people47
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 60
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'46
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder14
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur60
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage