8 April 2013Vatican advisor: Pro-equal marriage Catholics should not take Communion 67 A legal advisor to the Vatican has said that Catholics who support same-sex marriage should not approach for communion, with the Archbishop of Detroit adding that to do so would be to commit "perjury".
8 April 2013US: Second Illinois GOP lawmaker announces support for equal marriage bill 1 A second Republican in the Illinois House has announced his support for a bill to legalise equal marriage, and has said that he thinks others will follow.
8 April 2013South Africa: Gay couple hope their traditional wedding will inspire the black community 13 A gay couple in South Africa have married in a wedding ceremony uniting their Zulu and Tswana traditions, which they say they hope will send a message to others that "Being gay is as African as being black."
8 April 2013Video: David Letterman says opposition to equal marriage is ‘beyond embarrassing’ 2 US television host David Letterman has voiced his annoyance at the equal marriage debate in America, saying it is "beyond embarrassing" that opposition to it remains, and says that it is "absolute stupidity" to oppose it.
7 April 2013Poll: US support for equal marriage has grown in all 50 states 3 Over the past eight years support for equal marriage has grown in all 50 US states by an average of 13.6%, a new poll has found.
7 April 2013Snoop Lion: ‘In the rap world, I don’t know if being gay will ever be acceptable’ 19 Rap star turned reggae artist Snoop Lion has said that, in the rap music industry, being gay may never be "acceptable" in the way it is for singers.
6 April 2013Video: Family Research Institute head claims same-sex marriage would shorten lifespan of gay people 39 The founder of the Family Research Institute has urged the Supreme Court to uphold bans on same-sex marriage in order to prevent harm to gay people, claiming his research shows their lifespans are shortened by long term relationships.
6 April 2013Lord Carey: I will continue to oppose plans to ‘redefine’ marriage 58 The former Archbishop of Canterbury, Lord George Carey, has said he will continue to oppose plans to "redefine" marriage, and says that doing so does not detract from his support for government policies on ending poverty.
6 April 2013US: Louisiana Democratic Senator personally for marriage equality but won’t defy the state line against it 14 Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu has said that while she personally believes in marriage equality she will not support it, out of deference to Louisiana's anti-gay partnerships stance.
6 April 2013Jeremy Irons: My claims about father-son same-sex marriages were mischievous but valid 78 Jeremy Irons has responded to the outrage caused in an interview in which he said the legalisation of same-sex marriage could lead to fathers marrying their sons, saying he is not anti-gay but that his concerns are "valid".
6 April 2013US: Senator Mark Pryor undecided on marriage equality and ‘whether being gay is a choice’ 21 In a radio interview Arkansas Democratic Senator Mark Pryor said he was undecided on equal marriage, and added that he had "never really thought" about whether being gay is a choice or not.
6 April 2013Lib Dem MP tables same-sex marriage bill amendment separating state and religious marriages 74 Liberal Democrat MP Greg Mulholland has submitted an amendment to the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill which calls for civil marriage to become completely separate from religious marriage.
5 April 2013Brendon Ayanbadejo says four gay NFL players may soon come out, all at the same time 6 American football player and equal rights advocate Brendon Ayanbadejo has said that he thinks several NFL players could come out "sooner than you think", and that he was in talks with four players who might all come out on the same day.
5 April 2013US radio host calls TIME magazine equal marriage cover ‘indecent’ and ‘a perversion’ 47 Peter LaBarbera of the anti-gay group, Americans For Truth About Homosexuality, has again weighed in on the debate about equal marriage, commenting on a TIME magazine cover featuring a gay kiss, and calling it a "perversion".
5 April 2013Fox News contributor on Jeremy Irons’ father-son marriage comments: ‘Seriously, why not incest?’ 39 A Fox News host has commented on comments made earlier this week by actor Jeremy Irons, who linked incest to equal marriage, and suggested that supporters of equal marriage will move on to push for polygamous marriage next.
5 April 2013Stephen Colbert mocks Jeremy Irons for equal marriage incest comments 12 Political satirist Stephen Colbert mocked Oscar winning actor Jeremy Irons for comments made earlier this week suggesting that fathers might marry their sons in order to avoid inheritance tax, if equal marriage were made legal.
5 April 2013US: Two further Democratic Senators come out for equal marriage 2 Two further Democratic Senators from conservative states have announced their support for marriage equality in Facebook posts, leaving only four of their colleagues still opposed or unsure.
5 April 2013US: Senator Bill Nelson declares support for marriage equality as ‘God created us all with rights’ 17 Florida Democrat Bill Nelson has changed his position on same-sex marriage, adding to a recent outbreak of support which has seen the Senate tip in favour of marriage equality.
5 April 2013Paraguay: Judge refuses to recognise gay couple’s marriage 5 A judge in Paraguay has refused to register the marriage of a gay couple who legally tied the knot in neighbouring Argentina.
5 April 2013US: Brendon Ayanbadejo denies being cut by his team for supporting equal marriage 1 Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker, and equal marriage advocate, Brendon Ayanbadejo, said he does not think he was cut by the team for his open support for equal marriage.
Articles about Marriage
- UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported+
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship2
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but we don’t do them15
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder15
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’9
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote14
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people49
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 60
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'46
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder15
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur60
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage