5 February 2013Kent MP Sir Roger Gale: ‘Why not allow incest as part of equal marriage plans?’ 38 Speaking at the House of Commons debate around equal marriage today, a Kent MP questioned why, if the government were to allow equal marriage for gay couples, it did not allow incestuous marriages.
5 February 2013Culture Secretary Maria Miller: Parliament should value people equally in the law and marriage is for everyone 4 All couples who enter into a lifelong commitment should be able to call their relationship marriage, Culture Secretary and Minister for Equalities, Maria Miller, has told MPs.
5 February 2013Italy: Gay Governor of Puglia scared to go out alone at night in Rome 6 The gay governor of Italy's Puglia region, Nichi Vendola, has said that he is afraid to go out alone at night in Rome.
5 February 2013Derren Brown: I’m @Out4Marriage so no one is forced to pick ‘Choice B’ 1 Illusionist Derren Brown has taken a break from convincing people the world is ending to convince them to support same-sex marriage.
5 February 2013Ombudsman: Russia will not allow ‘unconstitutional’ adoption to French gay couples 1 The Russian children's rights ombudsman has said that allowing French gay couples to adopt Russian orphans would be "unconstitutional".
5 February 2013UK: Rally lead by three main parties’ LGBT wings to be held at Westminster today + Out4Marriage - a leading equal marriage campaign group is supporting calls for a rally outside the Houses of Parliament, being lead by all the three main political parties LGBT wings.
5 February 2013Same-sex marriage vote debate begins 5 MPs are debating the second reading of the government's Marriage (Same Sex Couples Bill) - with Culture Secretary and Minister for Equalities Maria Miller opening the debate.
5 February 2013Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes to vote against timetable for equal marriage bill 30 The Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Simon Hughes, has said that he will vote against the timetabling motion for the equal marriage bill in today's vote, because he thought the timetable was "rushed".
5 February 2013Catholic Tory MP Conor Burns: As a gay man I don’t see how I can vote against equality 9 Conor Burns, the gay Tory MP, who previously expressed his reservations about introducing equal marriage, says he is now inclined to support the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.
5 February 2013Live Blog: MPs debate same-sex marriage 24 PinkNews.co.uk will be updating the website throughout the debate for same-sex marriage in the House of Commons
5 February 2013UK: Equal marriage rally to take place at Westminster today 2 A rally will take place in Westminster later, with campaigners and MPs gathering to support and discuss today's same-sex marriage vote.
5 February 2013Comment: It’s time for a referendum on marriage- to force balding heterosexuals to divorce 21 PinkNews.co.uk founder Benjamin Cohen takes a sideways look at the calls by some MPs for a referendum on allowing same-sex couples to marry.
5 February 2013Equalities Minister Helen Grant: Tax breaks for married and civil partnered couples is ‘off the table for now’ 2 Conservative Equalities Minister Helen Grant says the government will not be offering tax breaks to married and civil partnered couples in next month’s Budget.
5 February 2013Tory MP John Whittingdale: ‘Same-sex marriage will cause distress to many’ 32 Conservative MP John Whittingdale has confirmed that he plans to vote against same-sex marriage, saying it will "cause distress to many".
5 February 2013Ed Balls: I’m really pleased David Cameron is introducing same-sex marriage and I think it’s brave 10 Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls has praised Prime Minister David Cameron’s commitment to equal marriage, ahead of today’s vote by MPs on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.
5 February 2013The Times: Same-sex marriage enshrines justice and will enrich the lives of many 13 The Times, the paper of record in the United Kingdom and on the breakfast table of most MPs this morning, has published another editorial in favour of same-sex marriage.
5 February 2013Letter: William Hague, George Osborne and Theresa May same-sex marriage ‘is the right thing to do’ 6 In a letter to the Daily Telegraph, but in reality a letter to fellow Tory MPs, three of the most senior Conservative ministers have pleaded with their colleagues to back same-sex marriage.
4 February 2013Lib Dem MP to vote against same-sex marriage bill because it ‘weakens’ families 70 Liberal democrat MP John Pugh has announced that he will vote against the same-sex marriage bill.
4 February 2013Tory MP Sir Peter Bottomley: Most people support same-sex marriage and it’s not a ‘big deal’ 13 Conservative MP Sir Peter Bottomley has given a robust defence of David Cameron’s support for same-sex marriage and says the media’s interest in sex has “overblown” the debate.
4 February 2013Study: Straight men who watch porn are more likely to support equal marriage 23 New research suggests that the more pornography consumed by straight men, the less likely they are to be opposed to equal marriage.
Articles about Marriage Equality
- UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported+
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship+
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’12
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder13
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’9
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote14
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'40
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage