25 April 2013Romanian football club asked to prove it’s not homophobic with patron saying gays ‘must be kept in enclosures’ 14 The European Court of Justice has criticised Romanian football club, Steaua Bucarest, over years of homophobic comments from its patron and former MEP George Becali.
15 April 2013Joey Barton to appear before French FA committee following transphobic tweets 8 Joey Barton is set to learn if he faces a ban over a string of comments – including some of a transphobic nature – he made about rival player Thiago Silva.
28 March 2013West Ham footballer Matt Jarvis: People ask my wife if I’m gay because of my Attitude magazine shoot 32 West Ham footballer Matt Jarvis says posing topless for Attitude magazine has meant that people have asked his wife about his sexuality.
11 March 2013Nigerian Football Federation says it hasn’t banned lesbians from professional football 1 The Nigerian Football Federation says lesbians have not been banned from playing in the West African country following recent reports.
7 March 2013FIFA investigates claims that lesbians have been banned from playing professional football in Nigeria 9 Following the comments of the chair of the Nigeria Women Football League, FIFA has written to the Nigerian Football Association over reports that lesbians have been banned from football in the west African country.
3 March 2013Student Pride debate featuring Ben Cohen and John Amaechi speaks out against homophobia in sport 5 The panel on a debate at National Student Pride yesterday emphasised the importance of tackling homophobia and transphobia in sport, said they had seen some change, but that much more action needed to be taken.
25 February 2013Comment: The loss of Robbie Rogers should shame football into action 6 Fears for the wellbeing of an out gay footballer may be overrated, but Robbie Rogers' retirement shows we've been spectators to bigotry and stupidity for too long, writes Adrian Tippetts for PinkNews.co.uk
14 February 2013UK: Blackburn Rovers footballer accused of making anti-gay insults during Brighton game 16 Police have launched an investigation after complaints that Blackburn Rovers’ Colin Kazim-Richards was involved in a homophobic incident during an away match against Brighton and Hove Albion.
7 February 2013Germany: Football Association sets up support group for gay players 1 A working group has been set up by the German Football Association in order to provide support for and prepare clubs to deal with the potential for gay footballers coming out.
21 December 2012Football Association Chairman: ‘No player should fear coming out as gay’ 9 The Chairman of the FA, David Bernstein, has said that no football player should fear coming out of the closet, following a decision by the governing body to tackle discrimination.
19 December 2012US: Baseball player apologises for tweeting homophobic slur 1 A New York Mets baseball player has apologised after he used a homophobic slur in a twitter conversation with a friend earlier this month.
18 December 2012Liverpool midfielder Suso fined £10,000 by FA for calling teammate ‘gay’ 17 Liverpool's Suso has been fined £10,000 by the Football Association for calling teammate Jose Enrique “gay” after the player tweeted a photo of Enrique having his teeth whitened.
28 November 2012Wales: Footballer fined £500 for anti-gay Tom Daley tweet 12 A Welsh footballer has been fined £500 and handed a one-match suspension for sending an abusive message to Olympic diver Tom Daley on Twitter.
13 September 2012German gay footballer refuses to come out because of safety fears 37 A top German footballer says he fears attacks from fans and even by other footballers if he goes public about his sexuality.
11 September 2012Footballer says UK gay players ‘frightened’ to come out due to ‘media’ pressure 10 York City FC player Clarke Carlisle has given an exclusive interview to the Gay Football Supporters’ Network (GSFN) where he discusses homophobia in the sport and the possibility of gay players coming out publicly.
Articles about Football Association
- UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported+
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship1
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’12
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder14
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’9
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote14
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 60
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'42
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur60
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage