17 December 2012France: Thousands take to the streets in support of equal marriage and adoption rights 2 Tens of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets of Paris on Sunday, in support of the government's decision to legalise equal marriage and adoption.
16 December 2012Tory, Labour and cross-bench Peers and MPs say Government is ignoring public ‘opposition’ to equal marriage 53 Almost 60 Conservative, Labour and cross-bench MPs and peers have signed up to a new Parliamentary plan to oppose same-sex marriage.
16 December 2012Mail on Sunday poll: 60% of British voters support David Cameron’s plans for same-sex marriage 16 A poll for the Mail on Sunday, a newspaper that is opposed to equal marriage has found that the majority of the public support changing the law.
16 December 2012Anti-gay marriage Tory MP, who supports Section 28, exposed as a love cheat 74 Conservative MP Bob Blackman, who recently suggested David Cameron should resurrect Section 28, previously had an affair behind his wife’s back for 11 years, according to his former mistress.
14 December 2012US Radio host: Gays aren’t human so aren’t protected by the US constitution 169 An American Christian radio host who last week said that same-sex marriage encourages children to have gay sex has now said that as she believes humans aren’t naturaly homosexual, gays aren’t ‘people’ and shouldn’t be protected under the definition of a person.
14 December 2012Pope uses ‘peace’ day message to attack same-sex marriage 103 In a message for World Day of Peace 2013, Pope Benedict XVI has described same-sex marriage as a threat to justice and peace, adding that it will spark harm for society.
14 December 2012South African President Jacob Zuma: I’d react in a ‘certain way’ to having a gay child 18 In a wide-ranging newspaper interview, South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma says he has no intention of overturning the country’s equal marriage laws, although he reacted cautiously when asked on how he would respond to learning that one of his children were gay.
14 December 2012Barnardo’s: Changing the law on marriage will benefit children and gay parents 7 The Chief Executive of Barnardo’s, Anne Marie Carrie, has welcomed the government’s decision to allow gay couples to marry from 2013.
14 December 2012Bishop of Buckingham: Church will be a fool to squander the option of ‘getting real’ by backing same-sex marriage 24 The Bishop of Buckingham, Alan Wilson, the most senior member of the Church of England to back the Out4Marriage campaign for marriage equality has warned that the Church of England risks squandering a “precious opportunity to get real” by backing same-sex marriage.
14 December 2012Church of England: We weren’t consulted over the government’s same-sex marriage ban 51 The Church of England says it only learnt of the government’s plan to ban it from performing same-sex marriages when Culture Secretary Maria Miller took to the Commons despatch box on Tuesday.
13 December 2012US: GOP Senator who cast deciding vote for New York marriage equality concedes 11 A Republican Senator who cast the key vote to legalise marriage equality in the state of New York has conceded that he has lost his re-election bid, and will not be returning to the Senate.
13 December 2012US: Mayor of Atlanta says ‘gay couples deserve the same protection’ as straight ones 7 After coming out in support of equal marriage on Tuesday, the Mayor of Atlanta has reiterated his support, and given his reasons for changing his stance, saying that "gay and lesbian couples deserve the same protection" as straight couples.
13 December 2012Illinois: Politicians hope to pass same-sex marriage law in early January 12 An Illinois state representative and a state senator have said they will seek legislative approval of same-sex marriage in the state in three weeks.
13 December 2012Simon Callow: I’m @Out4Marriage because I pay taxes and I’d like the same privildges as everyone else 13 In his video for the Out4Marriage campaign, the actor Simon Callow says that as a tax payer, he must have the same rights and privileges as anyone else to marry.
13 December 2012MSP blasts anti-same sex marriage opponent who warns of polygamy 14 A claim that same-sex marriage in Scotland could lead to "sexual chaos" has been branded offensive by independent MSP John Finnie.
13 December 2012UK: Jewish Masorti movement hints it might endorse same-sex marriage in synagogues 2 While the Reform and Liberal Judaism movements have welcomed the government’s plans to allow gay couples to marry in synagogues, the Masorti movement has not joined the orthodox United Synagogue and the Chief Rabbi in opposing the moves.
13 December 2012Lib Dem Chief Whip: I’m happy not to whip my MPs on same-sex marriage 18 Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael, who is the party’s Chief Whip in the House of Commons, says the decision to offer a free vote on marriage equality for his MPs is based on Labour and the Conservatives doing the same.
13 December 2012Baroness Warsi: ‘do churches need legal support’ in case of equal marriage ‘challenges’? 43 In a letter voicing her concerns with recently announced plans to bring forward legislation to allow marriage equality, Sayeeda Warsi has warned of potential "unintended consequences" if the law were to change.
13 December 2012Church of England: We can live with the government’s marriage reforms 35 The Church of England has hinted that it could one day conduct marriages for gay couples despite its current opposition to the idea.
13 December 2012Laurence Watts’ 10 gay news events predictions for 2013 30 Laurence Watts has unveiled his top ten LGBT predictions for 2013 - how many of them do you think will happen?
Articles about Equal Marriage
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill+
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion9
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage1
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam3
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill+
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments+
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’+
- Maltese Prime Minister: A civil unions bill is to be introduced by the end of this year1
- More congregations leave Church of Scotland in row about ministers in same-sex relationships6
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson16
- Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on 'gay cure' therapy 22
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Tory MP John Glen criticises Bishop of Salisbury for voicing support for equal marriage25
- Michelle Shocked to return to San Francisco during Pride Week, to clarify her feelings following anti-gay rant16
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican19
- Poland: Prime Minister backs down and admits opposition to civil unions is too strong25
- Gay 'cure' therapy NHS ban motion gains cross-party support4
- US: Attorney representing lesbian teenager charged for relationship with younger girl asks judge to step down13
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans re-arrested on new indecent assault allegations—
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage86
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual84
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?84
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television83
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage66
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'64
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage