21 December 2012Questions over anti-gay past of Chuck Hagel, tipped to become next US defence secretary 5 Chuck Hagel, who is in the running to become the next US defence secretary, previously suggested an ambassador could be unfit to serve due to his sexuality by describing him as “aggressively gay”.
19 December 2012US: Republican Todd Akin pushes for homophobic ‘licence to bully’ law 44 Missouri Republican Representative Todd Akin is giving one last push to an anti-gay bill before leaving the US House of Representatives.
17 December 2012US Marine Corps captain proposes to his boyfriend in the White House 15 Over the weekend, a US Marine Corp captain proposed to his partner at the White House.
2 December 2012US: West Point Military Chapel hosts first same-sex wedding ceremony 3 A prestigious New York Military Chapel hosted its first same-sex wedding ceremony on Saturday, which was that of an academy graduate, and her partner of seventeen years.
6 November 2012Anti-gay Ohio senate candidate rejected by voters and family 18 On US election night, Ohio lived up to its reputation for picking a presidential winner, and defeated anti-gay Republican US Senate candidate Josh Mandel at the same time.
5 November 2012Analysis: US 2012 race draws to a close 2 Scott Roberts assesses President Obama’s first term as the US heads towards Election Day.
19 October 2012President Obama vows to protect LGBT rights in Daily Show appearance 22 Taking aim at his Republican rival Mitt Romney, President Obama has said in a TV interview that he will not allow the US Constitution to be used to restrict the rights of LGBT Americans.
16 October 2012Video: LGBT celebrities rally around Obama ahead of TV debate 8 Ahead of tonight’s second presidential debate in New York several of America’s biggest LGBT celebrities have come together to endorse Barack Obama’s re-election bid in a new campaign video.
24 September 2012Paul Ryan: Re-banning gay troops would be ‘a step in the wrong direction’ 15 Republican Vice Presidential nominee, Paul Ryan, has said that he thinks reinstating the ban on LGBT troops would be wrong, that the issue is "done" and that the US should "move on".
16 September 2012Study: Repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell had no negative impact on US military 14 A new study has revealed that the repeal of the ban on openly gay people serving in the US military, one year on, had no negative impact on the US military.
12 September 2012US: New bill would ban equal marriage on military bases 16 The resistance against equal marriage on military bases from a US Senator, has not wavered, as a new bill was introduced yesterday with a view to banning same-sex weddings on military bases.
6 September 2012Lady Gaga’s meat dress becomes museum exhibit 1 Lady Gaga's famous meat dress, along with its gay rights message, has made its way to America’s capital.
12 August 2012Tammy Smith becomes US’s first openly gay army general 7 Less than a year after the repeal of the United State’s ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy that banned openly gay and lesbian people in the US armed forces, Tammy Smith has become the first openly gay US army general.
20 July 2012San Diego: Military personnel can attend Pride in uniform for one year only 11 The Pentagon will allow US military personnel to attend San Diego's pride parade in uniform for the first, and only, time.
21 June 2012Republicans won’t reintroduce ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ if elected, one lawmaker says 22 The Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee announced today that the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) was a settled issue, which neither a Romney presidency nor a Republican-majority Senate would reverse.
15 June 2012Video: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta praises gays in the military 9 In a video released to mark Pride month, the US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta praised the contribution of gay men and women in the forces both before and after the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.
19 May 2012Republicans hastily add anti-equal marriage coda to a defence bill 54 In a sign that equal marriage might be made a more prominent issue than previously thought, following President Obama's support for the measure, Republican-led House of Representatives have hastily added a provision on to a large-scale defence bill that would ban equal marriage ceremonies at military chapels.
10 May 2012Leon Panetta: Repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ going ‘very well’ 7 The US Defence Secretary, Leon Panetta, said today that the repeal of the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' (DADT) policy, which prohibited openly gay personnel from serving in the military, has not affected military morale or readiness.
28 March 2012American military academies celebrate first gay pride events 6 This week saw the first gay pride events being celebrated at military academies in the USA, six months after the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.
28 February 2012Gay marine’s homecoming kiss an online hit 72 A photo of a gay marine sharing a home-coming kiss with his boyfriend in Hawaii has become an online sensation.
Articles about Don’t Ask Don’t Tell
- UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported3
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship8
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but we don’t do them20
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder15
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’10
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote15
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people55
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 63
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'50
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder15
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained18
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur63
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage