27 September 2006Gay Welsh youth vulnerable + There are 3,500 lesbian, gay and bisexual youths aged 15 to 25 living in and around Cardiff currently suffering from inadequate services, warns the Terrence Higgins Trust (THT).The warning comes from a report entitled 'Starting Out' published today by the THT which is concerned Welsh gay people are putting their sexual health at risk due to a lack of support.
27 September 2006Indian gay law ‘hateful’. + Sujatha Rao, chief of Indian AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) has joined growing protests in India calling the law banning homosexuality ''hateful and not acceptable" reports Reuters.Ms Rao said scrapping the law is "fundamental" to the fight against AIDS.
27 September 2006African official jeopardises South African gay marriage. 1 Deputy president of the African National Congress (ANC) Jacob Zuma has outraged the gay community by calling same sex marriage a ''disgrace to the Nation and to God'', reports The SowetanANC is the majority party in South African government controlling the presidency and more than two-thirds of parliament's seats.
26 September 2006London to host gay hip hop festival 4 Gay culture and hip-hop have always had what can best be described as an icy relationship, yet it is hoped the hosting of a gay hip hop festival may go some way in helping to thaw this notoriously difficult relationship.US stars Mary J. Blige, Kanye West and L'il Kim have all campaigned on gay issues and tried to in part heal rifts between hip hop culture and gay lifestyle.
26 September 2006Peter Tatchell attacks ”double standards from Labour” + Peter Tatchell used the Green Party annual conference LGBT fringe meeting last week to launch a fierce attack on what he calls Labour's 'double standards,' calling on the public to complain to their MPs, the Equalities Minister and Tony Blair.Mr Tatchell, OutRage! activist, speaking at Hove Town Hall on Saturday 23rd September described Labour as blowing hot and cold over gay rights.
26 September 2006Miss Piggee off to Supreme Court over homophobic pamphlets. + A US Federal Appeals Court has dismissed a teacher's lawsuit, who claimed that not being allowed to circulate homophobic pamphlets broke her constitutional right to free speech.Cosmetics teacher Martha Louise Piggee from Carl Sandburg College, Galesburg, Illinois, handed out pamphlets condemning homosexuality to her pupils.
25 September 2006Gay father’s childcare criticised + Britain's first gay surrogate fathers have attracted criticism from child welfare agencies after posting pictures of their children on the popular LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) website Gaydar.The millionaire couple Barrie Drewitt, 39, and Tony Barlow, 42, have been criticised for posting pictures of their children on a website used by many in the LGBT community as a way of networking and seeking casual sex.
25 September 2006Carnival queen is a boy. + A 15 year old boy named David Bridge has stunned locals in the village of Axbridge by being elected 'alternative carnival queen'.The annual Blackberry Carnival in Somerset held last weekend has been going for centuries, the only requirements for the role of carnival queen being enthusiasm and a big smile.
25 September 2006GPA decision ‘victory for common sense’ 9 Gay campaigners have welcomed the decision by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) today that the Gay Police Association (GPA) will not be prosecuted for a controversial advert linking religious statements to homophobia.The decision relates to an advert placed by the GPA in the diversity supplement of the Independent in July 2006 which said: "In the last 12 months, the GPA has recorded a 74% increase in homophobic incidents, where the sole or primary motivating factor was the religious belief of the perpetrator."
25 September 2006India divided over Anti-Gay law. + There is more evidence in India of the growing acceptance of homosexuality.A new survey by The Hindustan Times, shows that only about a third of Indian youth are in favour of keeping the country's anti-homosexual laws.
22 September 2006Zimbabwe Government legislates against LGBT community + The Gay and Lesbian Association of Zimbabwe (GALZ) has been banned by the Zimbabwean government from attending a United Nations (UN) human rights workshop.The workshop which started in Kariba on Thursday is expected to lay the groundwork for the creation of the Zimbabwe Human Rights Commission.
22 September 2006LA LGBT victory over Buju Banton 7 The LGBT community has again ensured the cancellation of a gig by murder music advocate Buju Banton.Following reports earlier this week on PinkNews that pressure was growing to cancel Buju Banton's gig in Boulder Colorado, a Los Angeles nightclub has now led the way by scrapping a scheduled performance by the Jamaican reggae star.
22 September 2006Gay comedian saves life in pier drama + Gay comedian Alan Carr, star of the Friday Night Project yesterday helped to save a man's life after he was about to jump from Blackpool Pier.Alan Carr along with tap dancing legend Lionel Blair had been filming an End-of-the Pier show in the North Pier's Sun Lounge when they heard the commotion before rushing to the scene to help.
21 September 2006British students protest for LGBT rights in Uganda. 2 The National Union of Students (NUS) is organising an emergency demonstration outside the Ugandan embassy this week over continued persecution of the LGBT community within the country.The NUS LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) led campaign will be handing a letter of protest to the Ugandan embassy calling on the country to respect equality and freedom.
21 September 2006Conference to address “hidden” HIV poverty link + Links between extreme poverty and HIV will be addressed today at a conference aimed at combating what campaigners are calling a "hidden problem''.The conference will bring together social workers, welfare workers, and staff from the HIV sector.
21 September 2006Scotland less equal for LGBT 1 The Scottish Executive has backtracked on gay hate crime legislation , according to Scottish LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) group Equality NetworkEquality Network highlights that in October 2004 the Scottish Executive's Working Group on Hate Crime recommended to the Executive that they should introduce a 'statutory aggravation' so that a crime motivated by hate on grounds of sexual orientation, would be treated as an aggravated crime, and sentenced accordingly.
20 September 2006Fears over anti gay pact. 57 Anglican bishops from developing countries are expected to agree on a pact this week condemning the ordination of gay clergy, according to Nigeria's Archbishop.The church of Nigeria's standing committee led by Peter Akinola in a message to the country said: ''The Church affirms our commitment to the total rejection of the evil of homosexuality which is a perversion of human dignity''.
20 September 2006Gay age of consent unfair in Hong Kong 1 A court of Appeal has deemed the higher age of sexual consent for homosexuals in Hong Kong unconstitutional and discriminatory.Hong Kong law states that homosexuals must be 21 before consenting to sex, whilst the age for heterosexuals is five years lower at 16.Gay men who risk having sex before 21 face potential life imprisonment.
20 September 2006Launch of LGBT Youth Council + A new LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) youth council has been launched to give young people the chance to influence key decision makers across the capital.The London LGBT Youth Council, a project funded by Comic Relief and managed by the Consortium of LGBT Voluntary Community Organisations, is set to open its doors to all LGBT people, aged 13 to 25 who live, work or study in London this week.
19 September 2006US companies battle to become LGBT friendly + A record number of the largest US companies are increasingly competing to expand benefits and protections for their lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees and consumers, according to the Human Rights Campaign (HRC).The HRC's Corporate Equality Index covers 446 companies and shows an unprecedented 138 major US organisations earned the top rating of 100 percent, an increase of 37 in one year and a tenfold growth in four years.
Articles by James Phillips
- Bryan Fischer says forced drowning ‘would be better’ than inclusion in the Boy Scouts+
- Friend of George Michael slams car accident suicide rumours as ‘absurd’2
- US: Anonymous hackers target Florida State Attorney over charges against lesbian teenager1
- Nick Clegg: I am proud to fly the rainbow flag at Whitehall, and hope others will be too4
- US: Lesbian teenager charged for relationship with younger girl, rejects plea deal4
- Neil Patrick Harris to introduce special TV screening of Harvey Milk biopic+
- Tory MP Richard Drax: The equal marriage bill is ‘intolerant legislation’27
- Comment: How God Hates Fags and its friends like Linda Harvey further gay rights25
- Lesbian drama tipped for top prize at Cannes film festival1
- Blackburn Rovers footballer charged with making a homophobic gesture at Brighton fans+
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card87
- Question Time: Ian Paisley Jr defends saying he was 'repulsed' by gays and lesbians45
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins59
- Governor Rick Perry: 'I am greatly disappointed' that the Boy Scouts will allow gay members22
- Video: Book published to teach children to pray to Jesus for gay people to turn straight34
- Australia: Man who stalked footballer and talked of 'gay orgy' jailed 1
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship23
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'95
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card87
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur65
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people63
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote63
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage